C5 tyre pressure sensors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fat_controller
My Cars:

C5 tyre pressure sensors

Post by fat_controller »

Thanks to everyone who helped re my stereo problem, a new set should be winging it's way through the vagueries of the Royal Mail system as I type!!!

So now the next problem with the car to look forward to and beg help with :s

The car is a 2001 (UK) C5 2.2 Exclusive estate. The on dash display keeps beeping up a warning:

1 Tyre pressure sensors missing.

Now I know the sensor is "underneath" the valve, inside the tyre void, but I have a number of questions I need help with:

1). Is it as simple as the "1" meaning wheel "1", or does it literally just mean one of the four? If the latter, is there a non-lexia way of finding out which one is not responding? (Does the spare have a sensor, and will it register even when inside rather than on the car?).

2). I have seen these for sale on Ebay for about £22 - £25 each. I know the control unit needs a code input to tell the computer what number sensors to look out for, does it need to know which corner they are on and also, where does the code come from? Is it the string of numbers on the barcode label?

3). Is there anyone around South Manchester/ Cheshire/ Lancashire that has a Lexia if thats needed that may help out, or a sympathetic garage that does these things "cheap"?

Thanks again for the help Guys/ girls, hopefully I can get the old Girl back to "pristine" before too long!!!

Regards,
Lee.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: C5 tyre pressure sensors

Post by JohnD »

I'm not going to answer your question but as far as I know the spare doesn't have a sensor. My spare just has a rubber valve in it. Recently I bought a matching alloy with a tyre and presumably a sender already fitted from a breaker. When I mount it on the car, after about two miles the system bleeps and a message shows saying the tyre pressure system isn't working. Also I read in another forum that besides needing a lexia, another device is also needed to activate the new sensor.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

Post by sonoramicommando »

it's telling you you are missing qty x 1 sensor. after i inadvertently deleted sensors on lexia, it showed up saying 4 sensors missing. spare doesnt have a sensor. my car came with a spare fitted to front left wheel - funnily enough it used to trigger puncture warning, rather than missing sensor.
you need a lexia and a 125khz transmitter (citroen prescribes a model, i forget the name, but im trying to do a cheap way by building one.) to link sensors to your car. when reprogramming, it looks like you have to do all four regradless.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
fat_controller
My Cars:

Post by fat_controller »

Thanks for the help chaps,
looks like the way to go for now may well be to involve the spare and keep changing wheels until I don't cause a jump to two in the number of missing sensors - that should then tell me at least which one is faulty!

Regards,
Lee.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Guy's here is some food for thought, if your car is fitted with a Tyre Pressure Warning System (TPWS) then it will have to working as part of the MOT from next year.
Is there not something on the screen in the console that shows which sensor is not functionally correctly? I have to use the button on the right hand stalk to change into different screens, again I'm not sure on the early C5.

Lee I do have a lexia, and I'm not that far away, drop me a note after christmas and we'll sort something out.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

food for thought, if your car is fitted with a Tyre Pressure Warning System (TPWS) then it will have to working as part of the MOT from next year.
But would that automatically apply to all cars with TPWS capability, or only apply
if/when run-flat tyres were fitted to a car?
obaran

Post by obaran »

Hi Gents,

I have a C5 as well 2.2. diesel 2005 model i had exactly the same problem on my 3 tyre pressure sensors outers were broken and they didnt manahe to take them off from the aliminium pipe an these has been replaced with rubber valves. I managed to find these on e-bay i will order and put my comments after i fit them on to the sensors, for who has the same trouble as i have these repair kits might help to solve one side of the problem
Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Tyre- ... 3f116accb7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps in a way

Baran
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Norlander wrote:
food for thought, if your car is fitted with a Tyre Pressure Warning System (TPWS) then it will have to working as part of the MOT from next year.
But would that automatically apply to all cars with TPWS capability, or only apply
if/when run-flat tyres were fitted to a car?
From what I understand, If the car was fitted with them by the manufactuer then they MUST be working
Steve

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yup... you poor people with tyre sensors.... I hear they are a night mare...

You can turn them OFF in the ECU completely... but as said, if the Manufacture has fitted it it has to work... OR would it be like an ABS system.. if theres no lamp to test theres no system to fail??

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Slightly different on the C6 as it's incorperated in part of the display shown by the RT3/4/5 in other words no bulb to remove ...... BUGGER!!!!
Steve

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citroenxm wrote:OR would it be like an ABS system.. if theres no lamp to test theres no system to fail??
Thats not quite right, the lamp not iluminnating is a reason for failure if the car is fitted with ABS.
All MOT stations have data posters in them that displays how ABS warning lamps operate for each car.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yea SUPPOSED but they dont... at the moment..

Steve, It is on the C5's too... you go into settings with Lexia in the Conifguration or something... cant remember now.

Currently my Xantia has ALL lights working, and at the moment going out too!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto