Top of the range xantias spotting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Top of the range xantias spotting

Post by Citroenmad »

jacksun1987 wrote:cool i hope i get it. Im going to cripple my self on the mony frount. But if i get it ill be sorted. Im a bit worried about driving a estate. Ive never driven 1 before. Surly they arnt that bad to park.
Estates are SO easy to park, as they are flat backed, where the window ends is pretty much the back of the car. BX, Xantia and XM estate have excellent visability. The Xantia estate is a little longer than the hatch, but not by a huge amount.

Our C5 estate took no adapting too, but the saloons take a bit more thought, as the boot sticks out and is unseen, it has a high rear window and the addition of a rear wiper on the later ones didnt help that. I had thought about fitting parking sensors to my saloon C5s, but I have it down to a fine art now, inch perfect!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

What they said, estates are simple to park.
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

once more for good measure, the estate is easy to get into small spaces as you can see each edge. the hatch is more of a pain
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CD changer and A/C were extra cost options on VSX spec in 95, A/C became standard late in 96 as it was on lower spec models but the CD changer was still an extra cost accessory.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

I hope i get it means bring out the credict card one last time. At least my credict rating will go up. I can not et a load cos i dont have a rattings. Its rubbish. People who havernt got in debt or borrowed mony cant get it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hope it all goes to plan jacksun, you'll like a VSX but for goodness sake do check the condition of the strut tops before parting with your dosh - in fact check everything very carefully, particularly the cooling system...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

how do i check the cooling systerm ? And if the struts are ok.
Do i just bounce t op and down. And if it feels hard its bad.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

You need to check that the cooling system isn't overpressuring which could be a warning sign of a blown headgasket.

Strut tops rust out, you need to check the condition of the strut top on the upper side (under the bonnet) and the lower side (under the wheel arch) Check its in good condition, check that the metal is very thick and not thin. The Xantias strut tops have rubber covers over both the upper and lower sides of the strut tops, which can make inspection a problem, the rubber also houses moisture which leads to rust ... if the rubber have come away then it might not be a bad thing. A lot of people recommend pull the rubber coating off and paint it.

There are occasions where a strut top unbonds from its base and shoots through the metal section. However rust is a more common problem. Not the end of the world if they are a bit crusty looking, you can get decent replacements for £80-£100 a pair and fitting is not too dificult.

There is loads of info on here about strut tops, this following thread is a good place to start looking:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=19386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep in mind that just about every used car will need money spending, work doing and time consumed. So if your wanting the most cost effective car, try and source a good one with a good history, recent cambelt changes, recent spheres etc. They are about its just finding them, they dont always command over the top money either.

Do we have a Xantia buyers guide on here?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10