ANY TIPS ON BLEEDING BRAKES XANTIA PLEASE :)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Harry1975

Re: ANY TIPS ON BLEEDING BRAKES Xantia PLEASE :)

Post by Harry1975 »

thanks Malcolm, ive got both hubs off the car so dont have to worry about drive shafts, though i have taken them out 3 times due to 1: the gearbox blow up,2: then oil seal went on new box buggered the clutch.3: due to too many hills here in Plymouth ,the next clutch didnt last long as it was a cheap one, so got a good one in her now. so as you can see im not afraid of the big jobs, i can do the clutch with my eyes closed know every nut and bolt :)
Harry
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Malcolm, you really must have a magical touch or the air down your way is nowhere so corrosive as ours is here! I've never been able to do one in situ and have given up trying now.

Even in the vice and with the proper tool I still find them tighter than a tight thing in a tight place :twisted: Mine always seem to be well held by a mixture of Loctite and rust. Often they squeak and groan on the way out...
Harry1975 wrote: i can do the clutch with my eyes closed know every nut and bolt :)
Harry
:lol: :lol: :lol: You and me both...

Speaking of big jobs...

Done a heater matrix yet Harry ? :twisted: I know every nut, bolt, connector and screw of that job and can do one in my sleep now :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: Done a heater matrix yet Harry ? :twisted: I know every nut, bolt, connector and screw of that job and can do one in my sleep now :twisted:
Ooo in that case, do you want to come over and do Jenny's tonight? It's not leaking yet as far as I know, but better to be safe than sorry ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

I've never done a Xantia ball joint (yet!) but I have done a BX one with the tool and an air impact wrench if I remember correctly.
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Ooo in that case, do you want to come over and do Jenny's tonight? It's not leaking yet as far as I know, but better to be safe than sorry ;)
Yep, I'll dream about it tonight Xac :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote: Ooo in that case, do you want to come over and do Jenny's tonight? It's not leaking yet as far as I know, but better to be safe than sorry ;)
Yep, I'll dream about it tonight Xac :lol:
there you go Xac by the time Jim has finnished dreaming about it, it will be done,
sweet dreams :shock: :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Harry

Returning to original topic - bleeding brakes. You should do the rear brakes first and take 2-300 ml out of each caliper (the brake lines go all the way from the 'anti-sink' sphere to the doseur valve and back to the calipers) - certainly bleed until new clear green LHM flows. Then do fronts.

I put together a simple kit of:
1. Bleed bottle (300ml plastic drinks bottle with polythene tube of right diameter to fit bleed nipple. Insert tube through a hole in the lid slightly smaller than the tube OD to make a tight fit through the (screw-on) lid and push tube to bottom of bottle. In use, slightly slack off the lid so air can escape past the threads as LHM flows in.
2. Half litre plastic jug (only half-fill) for filling reservoir to avoid making a mess.
3. Old 2L ice cream container (or similar) to contain dribbles and drips in storage and for dumping dripping hydraulic components in while working; mine is just the right width for a sphere to perch between the sides to drain. Drape an oily rag over the top to keep the dust out (oily to discourage it being 'borrowed').

Oh, and to un-tighten bleed nipples use a socket not a spanner - quite OK to leave them to soak with penetrating oil for hours or days to reduce the risk of shearing off one :(
Last edited by Old-Guy on 16 Dec 2011, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

thanks old-guy, i will take your advice, socket sounds good to me. and i will soak the nipple in the right fluid(glad the mrs is not reading this or i would be in the dog house, no matter how many times i explained its the car we are talking about ! ) ;-) i will soak them while im doing the other stuff ,ball joints, sphere etc . thanks again to all of you for your help. Citroen drivers are the nicest people :)