Xantia heater control slider

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia heater control slider

Post by froggy »

Hi, my Xantia 1.9T.D. The slder switch that controls the fresh air or recycled air , seems to hit against something when trying to slide it to the left. could something have jammed ? anybody got any thoughts Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia heater control slider

Post by CitroJim »

This is a very common problem Terry and it's caused by a kink in the bowden cable that operates the recirculation flap(s) above the blower and air intake. You'll find the kink on the inner of the cable at the slider end.

Sadly, cable replacement is the only completely effective way to fix it although some have succeeded in turning the cable at the slider end so the kink is in the opposite direction.

I say 'sadly' as to replace the cable is a dash and heater box out job and that's a massive one. I personally never use recirculate and leave my cars on fresh all the time. If you're stuck in recirculate and want fresh on a permanent basis, pop the blower motor assembly out (three screws) and push the flap(s) open. You'll see them up in the blower motor aperture.

I say flap(s) as some have one whereas some very late models appear to have two.

I know that's not a perfect solution but I trust it'll help a bit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Post by froggy »

Cheers Jim,
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:This is a very common problem Terry and it's caused by a kink in the bowden cable that operates the recirculation flap(s) above the blower and air intake. You'll find the kink on the inner of the cable at the slider end.

Sadly, cable replacement is the only completely effective way to fix it although some have succeeded in turning the cable at the slider end so the kink is in the opposite direction.
I'd be one of them, give it a go, you've nothing to lose :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'