Xantia LHM fluid leaks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BigJockD
My Cars:

Xantia LHM fluid leaks

Post by BigJockD »

Hi all any help would be appreciated before I pull out what little i have left of my hair.

My wifes xantia S2 has been our repairers for about 9 weeks with fluid leaks from the rear of the car.

SO far we have replaced the rear pressure regulator 2 rear cylinders the rear height corrector, the anti sink sphere and the reg sphere, now we have a leak from one of the new cylinders. Any thoughts on how we solve this. Car is a V6 and our garage is now getting to the end of solutions.

Cheers for any help

John
learn from the mistakes of others you cant possibly live long enough to make them all yourself
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Xantia LHM fluid leaks

Post by xantia_v6 »

It seems highly unusual for it to leak from several components all at once. The hydroactive valve is prone to leaking due to corrosion, I think that this is the first time in 6 years on this forum that I have heard of a rear cyliner leaking, and you have had 2.

The "new" cylinder if "new" should have a warranty.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Sorry I don't have any advice. But it is possible to have several leaks all at once. I currently have a weeping LHM pump, front sphere, and pressure regulator. I'm of the "if it's only weeping leave it alone" camp. I'm afraid I don't think much of your garage, I'd be refusing payment and looking for another garage.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi John and welcome to the forum
our garage is now getting to the end of solutions.
Surely the solution is to find where the fluid is coming out and stop it :? i doubt very much two cylinders were leaking too, your garage may be ok but high pressure leaks are rare and very simple to fix if they do make an unwanted appearance so long as the pipework hasnt rusted out, im not sure what it is they are finding so difficult?
What was the initial reason it went into the garage all these weeks ago?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe if they aint used to citroens they have not fitted pipe seals into the new units,

i think i would be looking around for a recomended indy citroen repairer,

regards malcolm
BigJockD
My Cars:

Post by BigJockD »

Thanks for the replies, they kinda echo my feelings except this is the work of the best two rated indy citroen garages in the area, one sent it to the other for a second opinion.
The cylinders were replaced one at a time and then have since been replaced again the theory being that the faulty regulator valve "burst" them.
It originally went in with a fluid leak that came from the breather pipes.

Most of the pipework has been replaced a couple of years ago too. to be fair most of the time has been waiting on parts rather than actually working on the car, cheaper than on-street partking in Glasgow. :-D

its currently leaking around a teaplate sized puddle of fluid overnight
learn from the mistakes of others you cant possibly live long enough to make them all yourself
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

If the pressure ever got to the point of bursting anything the car would be at maximum height and rock hard or would have to have another car in the boot.

Not sure what is meant by pressure regulator though, there is only one under the bonnet, nothing to regulate pressure at the back, just seems a bit of a faf, do you know where the current leak is coming from?, sounds like a low pressure return weep amount to me.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............