What fuel pump??? Xantia 2.1 td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scr8pdo

What fuel pump??? Xantia 2.1 td

Post by scr8pdo »

Hi can anyone tell me what type and model fuel pump I should have on my 1997 2.1 td Xantia?

Is it a Bosch Ve or if not which one is it, the car has the electronic Immobiliser too, kind regards Steve :)
1997 2.1 Turbo Diesel Xantia SX
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: What fuel pump??? Xantia 2.1 td

Post by CitroJim »

Steve,

Your 2.1TD will have a Lucas/Delphi EPIC electronic 'fly by wire' pump. The immobiliser function is taken care of in the pump ECU, not the pump itself...

Why do you ask?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
scr8pdo

Post by scr8pdo »

CitroJim wrote:Steve,

Your 2.1TD will have a Lucas/Delphi EPIC electronic 'fly by wire' pump. The immobiliser function is taken care of in the pump ECU, not the pump itself...

Why do you ask?
Oh right, I was gonna try and adjust the fueling up a bit for more poke as I have done on a few Pugs, but havent looked at the pump on the Xantia yet, so it cant be manually adjusted then?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

scr8pdo wrote: so it cant be manually adjusted then?
No, there's nothing at all to be done I'm afraid. Joe Lucas decided the parameters and there they must stay, forever...

I'm not sure if anyone can remap the ECU but it might be worth a look...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
scr8pdo

Post by scr8pdo »

CitroJim wrote:
scr8pdo wrote: so it cant be manually adjusted then?
No, there's nothing at all to be done I'm afraid. Joe Lucas decided the parameters and there they must stay, forever...

I'm not sure if anyone can remap the ECU but it might be worth a look...
Yeah apparently you can get a chip, I wonder if you can do that EVRY mod as with VAG motors with the VP37 pump, ie solder a resistor across or use a pot, saying that the car does go quite well compared to my last 1.9td Xantia, its me I just like tinkering lol, do you know of any worthwhile mods or improvements that can be made, I see you are a Xantia fan yourself, I should concentrate more on the bouncy, high suspension before twiddling with the engine :) It bounces all over the place and sits quite high, it actually feels the same sort of ride when you have the suspension on full height, it operates up and down fine, it can squeak a bit rising a bit jerky sometimes, I really want to get this car tip top as its one of the nicest Xantias Ive seen in a while, thanks for your help, regards Ste :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm a former 2.1TD owner so I know them very well indeed. I'm also a apst 1.9TD owner and currently have a 110 HDi so I'm well qualified to speak of them all.

The 2.1 is very good and has all the grunt and refinement of the HDi but it's not quite so economical nor is it as revvy. The 1.9TD lacks low-down grunt but makes up for it by being a revvy little thing... The HDi has all the ebst of the 2.1 and the 1.9 in one package...

Due to the heavy pistons in the 2.1TD the turning options are limited as it will never, ever be able to rev much beyond about 3.5K with any sense. Best to enjoy it's massive low-down grunt and forget about trying to make it a screamer... The EPIC pump is a good one and very much tuned for economy. A 2.1D comes to within 5mpg of a 110 HDi so that means a good 50mpg with a light foot.

You have a few suspension issues there! It sounds like it's riding too high for one thing and it also sounds like all the spheres are a bit ropey. As it's an SX you have no Hydractive nonsense to worry about and replacement of all four corner suspension spheres will make a huge difference. Then check your ride height. A quick and surprisingly accurate check can be made using your fingers - at normal correct height you should be able to slip three fingers between the top of the tyre and the wheelarch at the front and one finger at the rear. Riding too high can make huge differences to the ride and not for the better either. Don;t check the ride height until you have new spheres on though as if you have flat ones, and it sounds as if you have, then this can put the ride height out...
Jim

scr8pdo

Post by scr8pdo »

CitroJim wrote:I'm a former 2.1TD owner so I know them very well indeed. I'm also a apst 1.9TD owner and currently have a 110 HDi so I'm well qualified to speak of them all.

The 2.1 is very good and has all the grunt and refinement of the HDi but it's not quite so economical nor is it as revvy. The 1.9TD lacks low-down grunt but makes up for it by being a revvy little thing... The HDi has all the ebst of the 2.1 and the 1.9 in one package...

Due to the heavy pistons in the 2.1TD the turning options are limited as it will never, ever be able to rev much beyond about 3.5K with any sense. Best to enjoy it's massive low-down grunt and forget about trying to make it a screamer... The EPIC pump is a good one and very much tuned for economy. A 2.1D comes to within 5mpg of a 110 HDi so that means a good 50mpg with a light foot.

You have a few suspension issues there! It sounds like it's riding too high for one thing and it also sounds like all the spheres are a bit ropey. As it's an SX you have no Hydractive nonsense to worry about and replacement of all four corner suspension spheres will make a huge difference. Then check your ride height. A quick and surprisingly accurate check can be made using your fingers - at normal correct height you should be able to slip three fingers between the top of the tyre and the wheelarch at the front and one finger at the rear. Riding too high can make huge differences to the ride and not for the better either. Don;t check the ride height until you have new spheres on though as if you have flat ones, and it sounds as if you have, then this can put the ride height out...
Thanks mate, yeah I can say hand on heart its riding too high by what you say about the fingers gap (its much bigger) and it boings all over the gaff lol, other than that Iam well happy with it especially MPG wise, so you rekon on changing ALL the spheres first, is that 4 or 6? not sure, I thought there was 1 or 2 in the middle somewhere, (accumulators?), do these need swapping? I did notice that you can hear that ticking noise every say 8-10 seconds, I believe this is wrong and to do with the accumulator? all the best Ste
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

You'll have six spheres Ste, four suspension corners and two accumulators. If you're ticking every 8-10 seconds then your main accumulator (by the gearbox) is definitely low and needs replacing. The other accumulator is known as the ant-sink on the middle of the rear subframe will also be due replacement as they are often forgotten...

How to do the full job is to be found here...
Jim