Xantia brake switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Xantia brake switch

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys. Just been for my MOT (ITV actually) and Fred failed on the brake lights not working.

They were working a couple of days ago so that's a bit of bad timing. Anyway found the fault to be in the brake switch, the plastic blob/ push thingy which pushes the 2 electric contacts together has slightly melted so it's too short to push the 2 contacts together. I wonder if this is a common fault? Citroen want 75euros for a new one! Am going to try putting a bit of material between the blob/ push thingy to make it a little longer as a repair for now.

Also got an advisory on the number plate lights, which were so full of road dust they weren't visable.

Not too bad really!

Jaf
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Jaf
My Cars:

Re: Xantia brake switch

Post by Jaf »

Bit of wooden lolly stick has done the job! Been back to the MOT place and got my shiny new sticker (you display the MOT not the Tax disc here).
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Jaf :-D

We used to have MOT stickers but only as a reminder and they were never mandatory. Now, we have a new MOT 'certificate' here and the sticker has gone.

Shame as I think they're a good idea. I believe we should display a tax, MOT and insurance disc...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

CitroJim wrote:
We used to have MOT stickers but only as a reminder and they were never mandatory. Now, we have a new MOT 'certificate' here and the sticker has gone.

Shame as I think they're a good idea. I believe we should display a tax, MOT and insurance disc...
It's not really necessary to display anything as Plod just types in the Reg no; the PNC provides chapter and verse on Keeper, Tax, MoT and insurance. But if you've triggered an ANPR van while going to an MoT or you're on trade plates, a 'producer' has to be issued and processed (with evidence of MoT test if relevant), wasting loads of everyone's time; all because the bureaucratic procedures don't cater for these circumstances. This is why you'll see obviously s/h vehicles on trade plates and with no normal plates (they've been ripped off and skipped).
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)