no fans or rear window heater on xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spliffy
My Cars:

no fans or rear window heater on xantia

Post by spliffy »

Hi all iv got probs again ( right on winter setting in ! ) this started as an intermitent fault on one journey they wouldnt work and if i turned off engine and re started they might come on but now they dont work at all ,this is probably a common problem guys iv already changed ignition switch still not working so im guessing a relay fault but dont know where it is ( the haynes gives little info ) if it is a relay why should one relay control both ?????? cheers guys i would appreciate some help as my wife is giving me hell and threatening a new car !! yuuuckkkk !
Spliffy
have owned : renault 21,mk1 megane 1.6 8v
currently own renault megane grand scenic ( 1.9 dci privelige )
currently own renault megane coupe 1.6 16v
Derekofpriory
My Cars:

Re: no fans or rear window heater on Xantia

Post by Derekofpriory »

Hi, I had this problem with our xantia hdi during winter 2002/3 after sliding on ice into the kerb on a roundabout, no damage to geometry etc but fans and H.R.W. stopped working, putting a multimeter onto the supply to the fuse,- I forget which one- there was no supply. It appears that the supply goes right across the front of the car under the radiator, I just ran a wire across and into the fusebox to give a supply. Still there and still working. Obviously no guarantee that is what your problem is, but it cured mine.
Good luck, Derek B
our car spent Friday afternoon and Monday morning in the electrics area of the Factory!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On a MK1 it's most likely the ignition switch giving trouble. For the hour or so it will take I would stick a relay in (between the red wires with the brown connector under the steering column shrouds).
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Derekofpriory wrote: there was no supply. It appears that the supply goes right across the front of the car under the radiator, I just ran a wire across and into the fusebox to give a supply. Still there and still working. Obviously no guarantee that is what your problem is, but it cured mine.
Good luck, Derek B
If it's not the switch then it's a good chance it's this wire you mention Derek. The wire in question is a member of the infamous 10AV harness...

If it is this wire, the relay mod won't work. It can be easily proved the wire is the cause by measuring a low or absent voltage on both sides of the ignition switch contacts
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

as i understand it i need to put a new feed to the fuse is that correct which fuse is it
Spliffy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spliffy wrote:as i understand it i need to put a new feed to the fuse is that correct which fuse is it
Test first...

With reference to this diagram check for 12v both sides of the brown (MR) connector on the ignition switch with ignition on, engine running and fan set to top speed. This is the switch pole that supplies the fan from maxi fuse B and onward to F20 in the cabin fuse box. If you have a problem with the ignityion switch you'll see 12v one side of the Brown connector and a low or zero voltage on the other.

If you see low or zero volts on both sides then you have a harness problem between the maxi fuse and the ignition switch. It may be maxi-fuse B or a break in the 10AV harness that runs under the radiator and up to the big IC01 interconnect. The wire in question is called BMF2 and can be followed on this harness diagram

There are no obvious splices in this wire but I've known from practical experience for this wire to go open-circuit. If this is the case, a quick 'get you home' fix is to 'borrow' a supply from BMF1 (pin1 of the black (NR) ignition switch connector). It's best in the long term to unravel the 10AV harness and find the fault but this entails removal of the front bumper.

I've done the 'get you home' fix as I've described and as far as i know it's still holding good... I recommend not to use the heated rear window and the blower at the same time if you do this fix.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

hi jim thanks for the reply sorry for being thick but electrics is my weak point you say ( 'borrow' a supply from BMF1 ) ok and put it to where ??? you havnt said that. is it going to the maxi fuse or f20 what is maxi fuse and where is it and i take this supply im going to borrow from the black ig plug i take it from the switched side cheers mate i need this sorting asap
Spliffy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry Spliffy... I'm too used to doing this sort of stuff without adequately explaining myself :oops:

Basically, if and only if you find the voltage low on both sides of the brown (MR) ignition switch connector indicating a failure of the BMF2 wire from the maxifuse B you can take a temporary (hence 'borrow') supply from pin 1 (BMF1) of the black (NR) ignition switch connector to pin 1 of the brown ignition switch connector via a stout piece of wire and adequate splices (joints).

I trust that is now clear :)
Jim