S2 Xant td Fuel filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

S2 Xant td Fuel filter

Post by Timmo »

hey guys!
just a quicky, is there any way of identifying what fuel filter i need without taking the top of the case and checking it?? ebay reveals a possible choice of 2 and sods law dictates it'll be the other one from what i order!
is a '98 S2 Xant TD estate, just started putting Veg oil in and know everyone suggests carrying a spare filter with you!

Ta muchly in advance.
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: S2 Xant td Fuel filter

Post by Xaccers »

Timmo wrote:hey guys!
just a quicky, is there any way of identifying what fuel filter i need without taking the top of the case and checking it?? ebay reveals a possible choice of 2 and sods law dictates it'll be the other one from what i order!
is a '98 S2 Xant TD estate, just started putting Veg oil in and know everyone suggests carrying a spare filter with you!

Ta muchly in advance.
Have you got links to the two on ebay?
If you're running SVO then a spare filter isn't really needed, even going several thousand miles past when it should have been changed the most Cassy suffered with was just not wanting to rev over 3000rpm which was enough to get to halfrauds.
Don't ever use ones with an open base, only use the ones with filter paper visible all around and the exit flow hole in the top.
The open base ones expand, lose the glue that holds the paper in place and are a bugger to get out.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the 1.9TD is the shorter filter of the two,

also i understand the cheap type/version the likes of GSF sell the glue holding the top of the filter gives way/falls appart when useing Veg oil

regards malcolm
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The 2.1 is longer / taller (as is the housing) that's about all there is really.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

thanks guys thats great!
this is the link to the shorter one,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330622188668? ... 1436.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this the longer
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230614418686? ... 1436.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

either worth getting as such (the shorter obviously!) or better to get one from local motor factors??

'58 C2 Code
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Just to confuse matters there are some 2.1's with the short filter although as far as I can recall I've only ever seen about two or three cars like that (out of hundreds) so its possible they had been replaced by a previous owner.

The first link (the oval) is DW8 filter not an XUD filter, is that what you have ? Unlikely I did not think they dropped the wheezy DW8 into the Xantia...

The second link is the shorter one as best as I can tell but its difficult from a picture. The housing on the car is larger (in scale size) than the filters, ie: its easy to see a short / long housing compared to a short / full filter picture.

EDIT...Then again the shorter filter tends to have the paper exposed whereas the larger one has plastic, but the first link is certainly NOT an XUD filter they never fitted that housing type to an XUD. It would physically fit with some handiwork but imo the oval filter is a worse design than the 'top hat' (the one in the second link) The top hat is probably the best IDI filter assembly they ever used.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The second one is an example of the ones to avoid too.
The filter paper gets pulled upwards through use, releasing the ring of glue that stops it falling out, and expands so it is difficult to pull out of the housing when it's time to change.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

thanks again guys, thatsd Great!

'58 C2 Code
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that second link certainly looks like the lager/taller 2.1 filter to me,

i think you will better off going to the likes of GSF if you have one local to you,
because firstly they should know which one to supply and secondly you can easily return it if wrong,

regards malcolm
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

no GSF sadly for an hour and halfs drive! but a good local private factors and another that used toi be Very good but passed on a bit of the cost of premises move cost through its parts!! but they are both very local so i'll pop up to one of them dreckly!
thanks muchly!

'58 C2 Code