Xantia HP Pipe failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia HP Pipe failure

Post by ecohouse1 »

As I suffered at the hand of this with BX's - is there any weak areas for HP pipe corrosion that are known to corrode/fail/leak on Xantias.

From working under BXs etc I notice that there have been design improvements - eg the steel brake pipes terminating long before the extreme environment of the wheel arch and the cover over the front to rears. Most looked pretty fresh however....

I noticed a pipe running along the N/S inner wing beside the gearbox that was looking corroded. Any other nasties tro watch out for?

I have forgotten the paranoia of driving a hydraulic Cit of either a pinging clutch clip, catastrophic hydraulic failure (had these before!) - make for an exciting journey.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia HP Pipe failure

Post by CitroJim »

Nope, generally they're pretty good. The pipe you mention is the PAS supply to the pinion valve and it's good to keep an eye on it. They seemingly only suffer on S2 cars...

The only other thing to be aware of is that the pipes between the pump and regulator must be properly 'P' clipped as intended. Missing clips can cause the pipe to suffer fatigue failure...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...