Synergie alternator drivebelt.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paul in normandy

Synergie alternator drivebelt.

Post by paul in normandy »

I'm trying to fathom out how to change the alternator drivebelt on my 1999 TD Synergie, and there's been a lot of head scratching in the absence of any manual!
I have got a Haynes ZX manual which shows the identical route of the belt for the version with air con, but the method of tensioning the belt appears to be completely different. What is described in the book as the automatic tensioner roller (the smaller of the 2 tensioner rollers) is in the same place and has a square hole in it. However what is described in the book as the manual tensioner roller has no visible (at least to me) means of tightening it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
1991 BX Millesme Diesel, 1999 Citroen Saxo diesel, 1985 Visa Cabriolet, Citroen C15 pickup,1991 Hymer B534 camper with Peugeot J5 power, 1999 Isuzu Trooper, loads of mopeds!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Synergie alternator drivebelt.

Post by JohnD »

If the pulley has no means of tensioning, can it be that tension is adjusted at the alternator? Look for an adjusting bolt going into a bracket on top of the alternator.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'd imagine that it was similar to a 1.9TD Xantia, with a spring loaded auto tensioner, and the eccentric tensioner with the square hole and a 6mm (or is it 8mm) allen bolt holding it onto the engine.
Is there another roller at about 10 o'clock from the eccentric?
Look for a tab with a square hole in it coming out the top/back of the roller.
Stick a square bar in there and rotate clockwise to lift the tensioner off the belt, then slip it off the eccentric.
This is just assuming it's similar to the Xantia so hopefully it will help.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
paul in normandy

Post by paul in normandy »

Just had another look, and its beginning to make sense now! There is a spring loaded auto tensioner (with the square hole in its bracket) and another roller with an eccentric (off centre) fixing and another square hole in it.
Am I right in thinking the procedure is
Stick square bar in auto tensioner bracket, pull clockwise to release tension, ease belt off, replace belt, push auto tensioner bracket back into position in anticlockwise direction, then manually adjust on the eccentric? Or do I need to back off the eccentric between releasing the auto tensioner and taking the belt off?
1991 BX Millesme Diesel, 1999 Citroen Saxo diesel, 1985 Visa Cabriolet, Citroen C15 pickup,1991 Hymer B534 camper with Peugeot J5 power, 1999 Isuzu Trooper, loads of mopeds!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Rotate the auto tensioner by it's square hole clockwise, the hole is above the pivot so it lifts the roller backwards and up away from the belt.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the eccentric should be slack, then you release the auto tensioner, then tighten the eccentric, but I can't for the life of me remember where, and other people say to turn the eccentric using the square hole until it's at the lowest point.

If the auto tensioner is difficult to rotate then chances are it's needle bearings have died and it will need replacing. Also replace the spring that keeps it tense as the eye at the end wears out and enlarges.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

paul in normandy wrote:I'm trying to fathom out how to change the alternator drivebelt on my 1999 TD Synergie, and there's been a lot of head scratching in the absence of any manual!
I have got a Haynes ZX manual which shows the identical route of the belt for the version with air con, but the method of tensioning the belt appears to be completely different. What is described in the book as the automatic tensioner roller (the smaller of the 2 tensioner rollers) is in the same place and has a square hole in it. However what is described in the book as the manual tensioner roller has no visible (at least to me) means of tightening it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
We followed this guide on my Synergie. http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=25816" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Aux belt replacement had been done incorrectly by a local garage on a previous occasion , which possibly led to premature wear Aux tensioner and damper assy .

The size of belt is also fairly critical - too small or large and the tensioner runs out of it's proper position / range of movement .

I would suggest following this guide to the letter when tensioning the belt . especially the part that says " pin the tensioner in the fully retracted position when replacing belt " and strongly recommend changing the tensioner assy if in any doubt ( It cost me a car on a 2.1TD when the snapped aux belt got behind the cambelt )

:idea: Forgot to add - make an accurate sketch of the belt run before you remove it :!: I will almost guarantee you will lose the plot otherwise ............