New Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sham-man

New Xantia

Post by Sham-man »

Just got myself a 2.0i 16V 1999, and with no Haynes manual available maintenance is a bit of a guess. A couple of points I could do withsome advice on:
1. Is it worth getting the Haynes manual (upto 1998 car)? are there many dissimilarities between the 99 and 98 model?
2. There is a sound of air movement coming from the radiator cap area, either the cap itself or the overflow pipe. Would a new cap be a solution?
3. Were the hell are the spark plugs hiding? (first time with a multi-point injection system!) found what I think are the ignition coils just above the exhaust manifold, but it looks a bit of a job to get to them! Do you replace all the leads and coils in one go?
and,
4. Anything else I should be looking out for, trouble wise with the car?
Cheers
Craig
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Craig -
Grats with your new car [:)]
1) The Haynes manuals are not written for pro's or experienced DIY'ers. They are meant as a (good) help for the owner who does'nt know the whereabouts on his new aqiured car - and also takes him through all the common service issues. The manuals offers advice on lot's of common major repairs - to follow the owner to the point where more exact detailed info are needed - as the owner becomes more experienced. Then he'll need the manufacturers workshop manuals anyway.
I'd allways start with a Haynes - if the car is new to me.
2) The cap releases overpressure from a hot engine - which is normal. Only if you loose coolant water the cap may be suspect.
3) This is where a Haynes typical offers help [:)]
Follow the cables - remove any engine coverplates.
4) Stick to the service intervals - check oil dipstick at every gas fill-up - get it on your backbone. Get any small annoyance corrected ASAP - gives huge satisfaction when driving the car.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I wonder is this the same setup as the 2.0i ZX 16v? If so then on the top of the head theres a cover held on with about 10 bolts or so with the 16V written on it. The 4 spark plugs are under there along with the igintion modules. It doesnt have leads as such and a distrubuter. Every plug has its own ignition module.
Sham-man

Post by Sham-man »

Thanks guys. The car is Irish, and to avoid extra tax they don't import any car with anything other than a basic spec, they then add things to make it more acceptable, so its a mix between the standard and the ZX....I still can't believe it doesn't have a trip computer!! I was wondering about the plate on the cab side of the engine, before stripping it though thought it was wise to get an idea if I was correct. AndersDK any thoughts on where to get the workshop manuals from? the Haynes books have slowly been getting worse over time I've noticed...guess its the threat of litigation!
She's in pretty good nick, 48thousand on the clock, suspension is bouncy and works, brakes just had a major overhaul, first big journey this weekend, so it will be interesting to see what mileage I get....and how many people I overtake [:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ebay auctions are allways a good source of Haynes manuals [8D]
added :
With due respect to the origin of this forum - the manual is also availabe from GSF :
N98415-HAYNES WORKSHOP MAN 3082-XANTIA PETROL & DIESEL 93-12.50
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the spark plug setup is similar to the ZX 16v,it is individual coils but they are all joined together,the coil pack is held in by six 6mm allen bolts.unplug its connector at the gearbox end of the engine first.
Sham-man

Post by Sham-man »

That was going to be my next stop, thanks Wheeler.