Xantia headlamp washers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastred
My Cars:

Xantia headlamp washers

Post by fastred »

The washers on my 2000 V6 Exclusive have stopped working -more accurately I have just noticed that they have stopped working.

The windscreen wash works perfectly, as do the fog lamps, which according to the handbook are on the same fuse as the headlamp washer. It could be a blocked pipe, but there is no bubble or drop from any of the four jets.

I assume that there is either a separate pump for these washers or maybe a valve which is activated when the headlamps are on dipped beam. Does anyone know which is the case and where the relevant component is to be found?

Thanks

fastred
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia headlamp washers

Post by CitroJim »

The problem will most likely be with the pink relay in the engine bay fuse box; it's a timer relay that controls how long the headlight washers run.

It suffers from dry joints on the printed circuit board inside...

Open it up and the bad joints should be obvious... Just re-solder them and all will be good again.

I wrote about this a few months ago in the 'Citroenian'
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Just a quick reply, headlight washer pump is separate and bigger than the< windshield+tailgate> washer pump. You can also see the fluid level sensor in the below pic.

So far you've also found out:
- no leak -> pipe line OK
- fog lights working -> fuse OK

Next check if you get 12V at pump connector end.
If you don't get 12V then it might be the motor or more likely the PINK relay.

PS: I have disabled the headlights wash "feature" many years ago, on my own will :roll: :)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
fastred
My Cars:

Post by fastred »

Thanks for the helpful replies, Jim and VertVega. I removed the pink relay, cleaned the contacts, tapped it and put it back in the hope that this would get the washers going. It didn't.
To open up the relay, which has a potted epoxy base bearing the connectors, I am probably going to have to saw through some of the pink plastic - would it be best to do this all the way round with a razor saw, lift the top off and then stick it together again afterwards?

fastred
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

You can open the relay by prising away the sides from the base where the epoxy resin is, I've done it a couple of times. The contacts the Jim mentioned are the inside ones where the relay switches rather then the plug in ones. Its worth having a go at doing that as the last time i bought a new relay it cost £46 and that was about 5 years ago, if you get really stuck as in the relay is completely knackered give me a shout as I've since acquired a few spare ones, I need to remind myself how many though before I commit to letting any go.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
fastred
My Cars:

Post by fastred »

Thanks, Dickie, for the extra help. Problem solved.

fastred
NiREvil09
My Cars: Citroen xantia

Post by NiREvil09 »

Hello, I need a photo of this pink relay or the exact technical code, please send me