Broken 'suspension regulator' on front of engine?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ashy90

Broken 'suspension regulator' on front of engine?

Post by ashy90 »

Do Xantia's have something called a 'suspension regulator'? If so what does it do (might sound daft) if it is faulty, and more importantly how difficult or expensive is it to put right?

In my quest to find a cheap as chips Xantia (either a bargain or one to repair) I have come across one and the guy has said there is something wrong with the suspension. It is supposedly the 'suspension regulator' which sits on the front of the engine, which apparantly balances the front suspension? He has said that the front is not leveling out as it should. Does this sound right?

Is it something to do with the main pump, and if so, I am guessing its best to stay away from it? Expensive and difficult to change?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Broken 'suspension regulator' on front of engine?

Post by Xaccers »

The pressure regulator is at the front of the engine with the accumulator screwded into it.
It does what it says on the tin, regulates the system pressure which in turn allows the suspension to rise by allowing pressurised LHM flow to the struts.
However, that's only part of the suspension system.
At the front and back you have the height correctors, which are barrel like shuttle valves connected to the anti-roll bars providing the correct height and self levelling.
If it's just the front then the problem is most likely with the linkages that go to the front height corrector, often just cleaning and lubing them does the job, but sometimes you need to unbolt them from the car and give it a deep clean and lube if totally seized. They link to the ARB via a plastic piece we call the dogbone, that goes to a clamp on the ARB. If the linkages seize the dog bone can pop off or break, it's less than £2 to replace if memory serves, but you must unseize the linkages.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

Hmmmm I see.

So the regulator isnt connected too/part of the main pump?

If it turned out to be the regulator is faulty, and not something as simple as the linkages that go to the height corrector etc. then is it bad news?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The pump draws LHM from the tank, then 6 of it's cylinders send it to the power steering, while the remaining 2 cylinders send it to the regulator which allows pressure to build up and go to the suspension and brakes.
If the regulator is faulty, they sometimes leak from old age or if someone totally removes the bleed screw and looses the ball bearing behind it which would prevent pressure building and the car would not rise at all, then you can always get another from a scrap yard.
A regulator problem would affect both ends of the car though.
So if the back rises properly but the front doesn't, then chances are the dog bone has popped off which is a cheap and easy fix
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Be aware that the component that everyone here calls the "regulator" is officially called by Citroen the "circuit breaker" and the component (only fitted with hydroactive suspension) that everybody here calls the hydroactive valve or "electrovalve" is officially called the "regulator". So there is potential for confusion. Any of these components is fairly easy to obtain and fit.