Rattly Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Re: Rattly Clutch

Post by robert_e_smart »

I would tend to agree with Lexi.

Your ratty car will no longer be a ratty car Jim. What next, paint the damaged panels?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Xac wrote:...The wedding is now the 7th...
Cool! Got a klezmer band, or are Jim and Stempy serenading the guests?
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Xac I think the chocolate biccies need to come out as well.Although Jims tea is ok it needs absorbing into a plain chocolate digestive to make it a worthwhile trip and scuffed knuckles LOL.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry for not replying sooner but life is being a bit hectic right now...

It's not the clutch. the clutch is fine. The problem is in the gearbox itself. The noise is coming from the synchromesh hubs, more likely the baulk rings. You only need to move the gearstick a tad toward engaging any gear whilst stopped with the clutch fully up and the noise worsens very considerably. I proved it was not normal by trying the same test in my Activa and Chris570's HDi.

I suspect either there's a lot of end float in there or more likely, the plastic sleeves on the ends of the selector forks have worn away or the forks themselves are badly worn.

As it does not sound like a showstopper now and in gall gears the 'box is quiet and fully functional in all ways I'll drive her on until it gets a lot worse...

When (if) the time comes, then if I can't acquire a good HDi 'box a 2.1TD 'box will do quite nicely. I'm deeply indebted to DickieG for doing some research on this and finding the only major difference is the 2.1TD has a slightly shorter final drive. Technically, it should be possible to swap the crownwheels between the HDi and 2.1TD 'box and retain the same final drive.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...