Xantia Hanbrake Imbalance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Xantia Hanbrake Imbalance

Post by tim leech »

Asides the emissions problem the Xant failed on a steeing rack boot (easy job) and that the drivers side handbrake was reading very low, the old girl has been off the road for about 9 months parked up in a dry garage with the handbrake OFF.

Is it a case of working it, or will the it need stripping etc.

Cheers!
1994 XANTIA 1.8i SX 132k, From new, Slumbering
1991 BX TZD Turbo, 192k Batttered/Awaiting Resto
1991 BX 19TZi Auto 93k Factory A/C
1991 BX 16 TGS Athena (project), mechanically sorted just a bit scruffy!
1985 BX 19GT 57k beige wonder
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Hanbrake Imbalance

Post by CitroJim »

tim leech wrote: a steeing rack boot (easy job)
Easy? depends on which side Tim. The driver's side is the easier (the word easier used in the sense that Everest is easier to climb than K2) of the two but the passenger's side is a bit of a porker..

The handbrake problem is more than likely to be a seized cable if the footbrake performance was good. Handbrake cables split their outers where they pass through the guide rings, moisture gets in and standing around does the damage...

Unlike steering rack gaiters, handbrake cables are an absolute doddle to do even if at first sight they look a bit tricky. they are honestly the easiest job in the world by Xantia standards :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by tim leech »

Buggeration, its the passenger side one! :shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

tim leech wrote:Buggeration, its the passenger side one! :shock:
The salvation is that after-market ones are specially stretchy to be able to pass over the ram projection. However, the ram has to come off and that on a Xantia is a bit of a fiddle although not entirely difficult...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

depends which side steering rack gaitor if the N/S these can be a bit tricky as you have to get it over the steering ram spigot :twisted: ,

the hand brake could be the cable is cracked and binding holding the lever on at the calliper, this will stop the adjuster mechanisum in the calliper adjusting up,

regards malcolm
tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by tim leech »

CitroJim wrote:
tim leech wrote:Buggeration, its the passenger side one! :shock:
The salvation is that after-market ones are specially stretchy to be able to pass over the ram projection. However, the ram has to come off and that on a Xantia is a bit of a fiddle although not entirely difficult...

Cheers Jim,

The White BX had the same problem on its last MOT and my friendly mechanic sorted it ok with a bit of swearing!

Are Xantia and BX handbrake cables the same? as I know I have some of them.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

tim leech wrote: The White BX had the same problem on its last MOT and my friendly mechanic sorted it ok with a bit of swearing!
I'll bet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tim leech wrote:Are Xantia and BX handbrake cables the same? as I know I have some of them.
Similar but I don't think they're interchangeable. they're not expensive anyway, at least not for yours..
Jim

tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by tim leech »

CitroJim wrote:
tim leech wrote: The White BX had the same problem on its last MOT and my friendly mechanic sorted it ok with a bit of swearing!
I'll bet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tim leech wrote:Are Xantia and BX handbrake cables the same? as I know I have some of them.
Similar but I don't think they're interchangeable. they're not expensive anyway, at least not for yours..

Thanks Jim the Xantia owes me about £2000 already so a few quid on a handbarke cable and one size fits all gaiter is mere small change!