xantia fuel lift pump problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia fuel lift pump problems

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote:Bear in mind that the pump only runs for a few seconds if the engine doesn't start so the current will be there for that duration.
That's interesting. Mine runs continuously from ignition on until I go for a start...
Shouldnt do Jim, it should run for about 5 seconds or so... some do run for a bit longer...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Steve,

The relay is the big rectangular one sitting next to the engine ECU in the ECU box... These are normally pretty reliable...

First check has to be to see if there's any volts on the fuse...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: Shouldnt do Jim, it should run for about 5 seconds or so... some do run for a bit longer...

Thanks Paul, I'll have a further check tomorrow...

Maybe it's been hotwired :?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Happy to report my lift pump does indeed only run for about five seconds... It was all my imagination... :)
Jim

carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Hi again.
Tested pump wiring again and i have juice to pump on ignition switch on for about 5 seconds or so (which ties in nicely with DickieG,s comment).
Obviously i was being a bit slow getting meter connected when testing before!!.
Out of curiosity i ran a feed direct from battery to pump and it does not work (didn,t want to do it until i knew which wires/terminals to connect to!!!) so it seems i have a knackered pump!!! makes diagnosing fault much easier when you know which wire to test mefinks!!!
Will be getting a new pump when i have some cash to spend!!!. Just one more thing, it says in haynes manual that when you have undone locking ring you have to reach inside tank and unclip pump before removing, can anybody throw any light on that one???
Many thanks for all the helpful comments so far!!!
Regards Steve (aka carpysmith)
1999 Xantia 2.0hdi sx (estate)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Glad to hear you're getting somewhere with this, to remove the pump disconnect the multi-plug as you've done then undo the large ring around the pump itself, you'll more than likely need to use a large screwdriver or cold chisel and hammer to turn it then having removed the securing ring its a case of simply lifting the pump out, it might need a little jiggling to get it through the hole but that's about it. When fitting the new one ensure the rubber seal isn't distorted then its a case of repeat the removal process in reverse.

Before attempting to start the engine its considered good practice to change the fuel filter and ideally the housing as well although @ something like £80 that is expensive, the idea being that the defective pump may well have deposited small metal fragments into the fuel system which will cause havoc with the main fuel pump and injectors and leave you with a much larger bill to get the engine running again. If you don't want to pay for the housing remove the filter body and give it a thorough clean to remove any debris within it, absolute cleanliness is the key here if you want to avoid the damage I've described above.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Thanks DickieG!
Certainly hadn,t thought of changing filter/housing after doing pump but it sounds like a bloody good idea to me!!
Will certainly be changing filter and cleaning housing out when i do the job!!!
Many thanks for all the help!!
Regards
Steve.
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

Steve,

A couple of points for you to consider.

I have seen on eBay just the pump element of the in tank pump. Most of the ads you see are for the complete unit which incorporates the fuel level sender unit. From memory the pump itself was about £65. I found this out AFTER I'd replaced the whole unit :(

When you come to replace the lock ring it pays to clean it thoroughly and then grease it before attempting to screw it back onto the tank. As others have suggested I used the hammer and screwdriver method to tighten the lock ring but go gently and make sure successive strikes are 180 degrees apart, this will help to equalise the tightening. A new sealing ring was about £6 from the stealer.

Ted
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I've never removed the cover to the fuel tank (yet), but I'm tempted to suggest that you mark the position of the lock ring before removing, so you know whether you've tightened it sufficiently on re-assembly.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

carpysmith wrote:... Out of curiosity i ran a feed direct from battery to pump and it does not work (didn,t want to do it until i knew which wires/terminals to connect to!!!) ...
This pic is from mine (Petrol) but I think they are similar.
It 's a VDO fuel pump and the wires are as seen below.
I hope this helps :)

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Muchos gracias for the replies!!!
Ted, I wasn,t aware pump was available without sender but will certainly be investigating further!!!

Martin, Good idea about marking locking ring, will definitely be doing that!!!

Vertvega, photo is spot on, bosch pump on mine, but the plug/wires are the same, pipework in a different position is the only difference!!!

Many thanks again chaps!!!
Steve (aka carpysmith)
1999 xantia 2.0 hdi sx (estate)
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Me again,
Does anybody know whereabouts on ebay pumps without the sender unit might be located?
Thought i,d have a look for it after teds earlier post on here but can,t find any on ebay!!
Regards
Steve. :x
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I did look at them on GSF a while back, they were 85 quid.
sprout
My Cars:

Post by sprout »

People,

I have got myself into a right pickle here :oops:

I have just had to replace the pump (Low Pressure)

I found it a wiggle and a half to get the new one in HOWEVER:

I cannot get the plastic ring to screw back up!

Of NOTE:

You have to push the pump down about 5-8 mm to seat against the springs, that is correct?

The "O" ring seal seems to become dislodged as I hold the pump down while trying to re-engage the plastic ring.

It feels like it is not going on square all the time and wants to cross thread!
It came off very easily once the first few taps with a hammer/screw driver.

What is the knack for this, as I do NOT seem to have it.

Stupidly I have started this with almost a full tank of diesel.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Current: C5 2008 2.0HDi Auto Exclusive (Ireland born) + VW Touareg V10
Previous Cits: CX2000, BX 1.9L, BX 16V, Xant VSX TD, Xant 2.0HDI (110) Exclusive
Some others: Fords1600E, Capri 3000GXL, Granada Scorpio, Mitubishi Starion Saab's 900, 900 Turbo, 9000 Aero, 2 Jeeps
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Hi there.
When i did the lift pump on my xantia just betore christmas i didn,t have too much trouble with it!
I found it easier to screw locking ring back on with the pump held down against the springs as you said! had to be careful with the sealing ring as it seems very easy to dislodge it from it,s seat but once the locking ring was started on it,s threads it went on ok without disturbing the seal!
With the locking ring being made of plastic i would imagine it would be quite easy to get the threads crossed, have you tried putting locking ring on without the pump and seal in place so you can make sure it screws on ok?
At least that would elimate/confirm a problem with crossed threads?
It seems to be one of those jobs where three hands would be useful!!
If the threads are crossed i would imagine the only solution would be a new locking ring??
Sorry i cant be any more help than that!! Whereabouts are you located by the way?
Regards.
Steve (aka carpysmith)
1999 Xantia 2.0hdi sx (estate)