Head Gasket Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carpy
My Cars:

Head Gasket Replacement

Post by carpy »

After much head scratching and question asking I've finally decided to admit my head gasket is starting to go. Now not being in a position to afford to pay a garage a sum of money more than the cars worth to do it I will have a go. I have a Haynes manual but unfortunately these days I have no confidence in it and I was wondering if anyone has a 'how to change the head gasket' guide.
Cheers
Carpy
2001 C5 2.0Hdi LX
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You'll need a tray.

More seriously, for those of us with "CRS" it may be good to first refresh the memory with an engine type/car model.

I would suggest for many, many PSA engines, that you replace the damper pulley at the same time.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Head Gasket Replacement

Post by jgra1 »

is that a reference to Eddie Izzard, addo? ;)

Car is 2001 C5 2.0Hdi LX looking at the sig :O ;)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes; Izzard is a darned funny bloke.

As to the OP - it's like a timing job plus head gasket... So, the appropriate timing pins are required, possibly stretch torque head bolts, deep or long socket to fit, copper grease (I recommend Wurth CU800 as superior to all else on the market), head gasket, torque wench, breaker bar, inline ratshit and angle gauge, heaps of cleaning solvent (spray/rinse degreaser, crab cleaner and brake cleaner). Oil filter, water pump, consider aux tensioners/idlers/belt as well.

And, as referred to, those strongly magnetic parts trays are really handy! :P
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just a thought. If the gasket leakage is not to bad you may be able to put off the hour by running with the coolant filler cap not screwed down tight. I have ben running a 2.1 XM for about 15,000 miles since the gasket started leaking with virtually no loss of water as the loose cap allows the gasses to escape. It also lowers the boiling point so don't thrash it. If it continues to loose water or looses more run like that it needs fairly urgent attention.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote:crab cleaner
i dont think he's doing this job at the sea side Adam :shock: :lol: :roll: :wink:

beside i think i would use VISE GRIPS not crabs :roll: :wink: :twisted:

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Re:

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:
addo wrote:crab cleaner
i dont think he's doing this job at the sea side Adam :shock: :lol: :roll: :wink:

beside i think i would use VISE GRIPS not crabs :roll: :wink: :twisted:

regards malcolm
Perhaps in practice, a crab is better than a pair of cheap vice grips but only if they're clean - hence the crab cleaner....

I'd say the job of doing the head gasket on an HDi is fundamentally the same as doing it on an XUD and all comments regarding doing that engine will apply generally.

I know the injection pump doesn't have to be timed but I do understand getting the manifolds off is just as, or more, troublesome as it is on the XUD.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Do they (manifolds) absolutely need to come off?

From a workshop POV, the more you unbolt, generally the more you increase both the time required to reassemble and the "knock-on" liability for those items - I mean, everything from an incorrectly tightened manifold to lost fasteners. If I had to make a choice I would try pulling the motor far forward as possible, to allow the exhaust to come up and over.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you are going to have the head skimmed they will probably have to come off anyway.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I assumed that wasn't in the program. If it were, then yes - however I would still try to bench fit these items.

Also, if the head were to be skimmed and has an oilway check valve, I am a big believer in replacing this item and thoroughly flushing the galleries...
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

Thanks for the replies and no I don't have crabs :lol: . Problem is I still don't have a 'how to guide' so if none is forthcoming it looks like me and my mate 'Haynes'. :(
Carpy
2001 C5 2.0Hdi LX
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What's your skill level and tool armory like?

And - are you planning to skim the head?
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

Hi, I'm not and never have been a mechanic but I must have rebuilt a dozen motorcyle engines over the years so not completely useless. Have a decent set of tools and a brother in law who was a toyota mechanic who I can call on if I get too stuck. With regards to the head I was going to see what it looked like first, signs of corrosion etc.
Cheers
Carpy
2001 C5 2.0Hdi LX