ZX Brake shudder/wobble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

ZX Brake shudder/wobble

Post by sooty »

For some time I have experienced front brake wobble and it got worse as the disc's got hot due to heavy braking from high speeds.
So I brought new disc'd and pads to renew, thinking the disc's were warped and also the low pad warning light was flickering.
So when the time came to change the disc's and pads, in stripping them down, I found that who ever changed the pads previoulsy had routed the wires incorrectly and one had chaffed and touching the calipar intermittently causing the light to flicker(I've had the car 2yrs). Then when removing the pads, I found that one pad lining had seperated from the metal backing plate. The disc's were quite good for wear and run out, so I thought I would try just changing the Pads.
Guess what, the wobble was cured and the wires correctly routed. This was some 1000 miles ago and still OK. So I took the disc's back to the supplier and got my money back and saved my self an warranted expence.
So always check your problem before jumping in at the deep end thinking the worse as I did.
Sooty
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I've had 4 sets of brake discs on my ZX 1.4 in 6 years (and about 32000 miles). I usually just run them until the warranty is about to go, and get them changed. My garage can't offer any solid reason why they should go. Just one of those things!
And they don't work that well in an emergency in any case, even when new!
leonardo

Post by leonardo »

And you are quite happy to drive around with brakes that don't work too well even when new?
Am I being thick or is that not a tad dangerous?
If I was in doubt about them, I'd rather have my money back (as you are entitled to) as they obviously aren't up to the job and go elsewhere for a different make.