Retro-fitting door switches.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Prilliant03
My Cars:

Retro-fitting door switches.

Post by Prilliant03 »

Hi, picked up a 98 Xantia 110 HDi last week and love the car. It's in wonderful condition given the 175,000 miles already covered. I can tell it has been well cared for and religiously serviced.

Appart from a couple of minor cosmetic details my only complaint with the Xantia is the obligitary dead courtesy lights. Opening and closing the doors makes no difference at all. I've checked the bulbs and fuses, all are fine.

So I was wondering if anybody has tried fitting conventional plunger type switches to a Mk 2. The wiring shouldn't be too tricky, right? Just a matter of making sure I chose a suitable location for mounting the switch, positive feed to the lights, and return to earth. Is there anything I need to be aware of if I go down this route? or is it easy enough to just repair the switches in the door lock mechanism?

Thanks,

Neil.
98 Xantia HDi 110
02 Aprilia RST1000 Futura

Life is like a sewer...... You only get out of it what you put in.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Retro-fitting door switches.

Post by CitroJim »

Are you sure it's the switches Neil as it would be very unusual for all of them to have died..

A perfect test of the switches is if the door open indicator in the bottom of the tacho lights up...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Prilliant03
My Cars:

Post by Prilliant03 »

Thanks for the reply Jim. Just been outside to check and the door open warning light is indeed working fine on all four doors. So looks like the switches are fine. I guess my next step will be a simple test for voltage at the light fittings.

Think I may need to invest in a Haynes BOL for the wiring diagrams.Might just need to run some new wiring to the bulb holders.
98 Xantia HDi 110

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Take another look at the bulbs/holders as they are notorious for having poor connections to the socket, if you have a voltmeter use that to establish whether voltage is being supplied to the socket etc.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Don't buy a BoL for wiring diagrams Neil...

Whatever diagrams you need, I can usually help...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Prilliant03
My Cars:

Post by Prilliant03 »

Duly noted gentlemen. Many thanks for the replies.

I'll do some tests when I next have some free daylight hours. Most likely that'll be saturday. Slave to the NHS until then :-({|=
98 Xantia HDi 110

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Prilliant03 wrote:Slave to the NHS until then :-({|=
Good man, I'll be using the services of your employer next week :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH