C5.... AGAIN..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: C5.... AGAIN..

Post by citroenxm »

Its an 02 chris, but has got the Eco Button, and lift up for reverse... Its an Exclusive...

This air lock does NOT happen all the time.. It can be fine for a week or two or even three, then at a freak moment does it..

Ive blead it through properly, so water flows out the rad upper rad bleed screw too...

Prehaps the car really has been abused in the past... however, things done:

Instrument Clocks kept fusing warning lights out. replacement clocks fixed that
Rear disks, as the rear calipers had both leaned in at a rediculas rate and dug into the disks!
Front Hand brake cables and guides due to siezure.
Front N/s caliper due to siezure
Blower resister pack as the Fan ran at a single speed and the speed made n difference
Replacment Rad - evidance if anti freeze seepage (I realise its wear and tear on the Rad)

To me it just seems quite a lot. My Xantia at 190k on 30k in ONE YEAR has not needed anything dooing to her!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It honestly does suggest a head gasket issue to me; I would be chemically testing for combustion gases in the coolant. A visual check is no equivalent.

If that's good, the other possibility is the car has a bunch of rubbish floating about in the cooling system that intermittently blocks the head passages or thermostat to some extent.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

How many miles has the car covered Paul?

Ive also repalced the handbrake cables and guide tubes on a C5 but actually ....
Ive also replaced front calipers due to the handbrake lever sticking - I did think it was the cables had seized but it was the calipers that were to blame. Really keeping on top of them and lubricating them will stop this happening.
Likewise the rear calipers, removal on every other service and greasing them should keep them from wedging out. When they have wedged they seem to eat brake pads in no time!

When the rad was weaping, I wonder if any kind of iffy rad sealant was put in ... before it was changed.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

When bleeding the C5, you need a header tank on the expansion bottle to ensure the coolant level is high enough to force the air through the cooling system. Have you checked for a head gasket starting to fail. I see you say it is random, but I had the same thing on a C5 and you could affect how quick it got airlocked by how hard you drove it.