ZX: stick, deal or cash in?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

geb042

Re: ZX: stick, deal or cash in?

Post by geb042 »

And here's the other one:
IMG_1449.jpg
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont know if its just the angle you took the picy bit that N/S shaft looks like its not siting square to the diff, if so i would say its you diff breaking up,

also whoever took the O/S shaft out last put the rubber deflecter disc back the wrong way round,

regards malcolm
geb042

Post by geb042 »

Cash in it is then. I'm sure that someone will be happy to get hold of an otherwise mint 38k mile 1.9D with 12 months MOT and sort this problem out, especially those with the time and facilities to do it themselves. It's really too good to scrap as the car is otherwise in the same condition as a 2 year old.

Looking at the autotrader, the going price for very tired examples with 100k+miles is around £450 - £500. There's a 1.9D estate on there at the minute for £1000 that has similar mileage to mine.

If it wasn't for this, I'd value mine at £750-800, so I think I'd be prepared to let it go for offers in the region of £500. The engine alone's probably worth £300 for use in another vehicle.

This all said, even if the diff is faulty, the car drives fine and will still do so for quite some time to come, so it's not like someone will have bought something that's useless. It should last for at least a year - I mean, what the hell can you expect for a £500 car thesedays?
geb042

Post by geb042 »

The car has now has 12 months MOT - just passed today.

The water pump (and hence cambelt) will need to be changed, and there's the likely need to fix the differential - the garage would be interested in buying it from me now, as is, for £450 - £500. It's obviously more cost effective for them to fix and sell-on as the cost of repairs is only for the parts.

I'm tempted to accept the offer. As it stands I'm going to have to spend £350 now to replace the pump and belt to be able to use the car with peace-of-mind. Then, at some point in the near future I'm going to have to spend the £1000-£1200 on sorting the diff problem out - I'm not doing it myself.

So, like it or not, I can't get away from this expenditure if I keep it. If I walk away with £500 now, then I will obviously need to find another car, and so I spend the £1500 + £500 = £2000 on another car of whatever type that's clean and low mileage (and will be newer and better than the ZX) - yes, they are actually out there! This might also need some work doing, but then again may not. I might spend less that £1k on a car, and that will need work doing soon, but then again it may not. As it stands, if I leave things as they are I have to spend all the money and still have the same old car. However, if I move the ZX on then at least I have the chance to minimise the impact of the situation. If I stick, then I spend the full what, but for what????

Answers on a postcard please.....
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

on the other hand a 1.9D ZX is so simple compaired to newer more electricly controled cars,
and ZX 's are very much under rated,

the only bit i dont like is that orible tourtion bar suspension,

a second hand gear box should be now more that £150 quid and no more than £250 to fit, you might have to add a new clutch into that whilst the box is down no more than around £100,

regards malcolm