'94-1.9TD (after) glow problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hans
My Cars:

'94-1.9TD (after) glow problems

Post by Hans »

Last week something strange happened to my car. It smelled bad and apparently my dynamo had burned out! I replaced the Dynamo and tried starting the car which went very difficult. Once it runs I noticed the dynamo was running hot again so I started measuring.. I noticed the glow plugs were still on after running the car for 15 min at 32 °C outside! This can not be normal!! So I went searching and found a blue thermostat attached outside the Fuelpump that switches the afterglowing on/of. I unplugged it and all my energy problems were gone.
But a cold start in the morning was still a problem. After testing everything and reading all the problems about startind a 1.9TD I found myself in the same starting situation. Not starting in the morning but ones it runs it is perfect up to 8 hours after switching it off. I found the incidental electrical problem was not my starting problem but the fuel supply was!
<u>Solution:</u>I found out my fuel filter drain valve (plastic little turning device on front) had a leaking rubber! I wound some tape around it and the car starts again perfect!!
I think I had tried to often to check for water in de fuelfilter..
I hope this can solve more starting problems with the Xantia 1.9TD!
But my question is about the blue thermostat.
At what temperature does this little thing switch?
Is it normal the glow plugs are not fused ?
Hans
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hans -
I don't think the blue thermostat in fact is a thermostat - but a sensor for the glowplug timer relay.
The value of the sensor then determines the timer's afterglow time on the plugs.
Since your problem disappeared immediately removing this sensors cable - the sensor may have shorted out - or simply defective. You'll need this sensor in wintertime - where temperature demands long afterglow time.
Each glowplug is consuming at least 10A cold - 4 in parallel gives 40Amps. Even the smallest corrosion problem in a fuseholder for a 60Amp fuse - would quickly set off a fire - or prevent the plugs glowing at normal temperature.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If these plugs have been energised for long periods of time and with the engine at full temperature, they may be damaged, if they start to break up then this could cause serious engine damage.
I would at least check them over to be on the safe side.
Dave
Hans
My Cars:

Post by Hans »

Thanks for the response.
I think my blue sensor actually is a thermostat and not a sensor. No Citroen dealer (went to four)can tell me anything about it because they have never seen it. I wonder how other diesel cars solve the afterglow solution..
I think in winter I will fit in a normal thermostat that switches on below zero.