C5III Tyres - recommendations?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

C5III Tyres - recommendations?

Post by Richard_C »

So my 'new-to-me' C5 with c 20k miles will need tyres in the next couple of months (factored into my purchase decision, so no nasty surprises). Its a 2.0 Hdi Tourer 160 manual with steel springs. 225/55 17.

The defult option is to buy 3 MIchelin Primacy HP as fitted now + I can get the full sized spare put onto one of the alloys and keep the best of the rest as a spare. But, the Primacy seems to be about the most expensive option per tyre.

I guess my criteria are loaded more towards low noise/comfort than out and out performance, and it would be good to have something that is decent in cold wet horrid weather as well as dry summers. I am not after the cheapest. I don't fancy hurtling down an Autoroute on 4 wheels supported by blu-tac.

So, 2 questions:
  • What have others used on C5III? Good or bad outcomes equally useful in making a decision.

Should I expect front/rear wear to be broadly similar? That's what it seems on this one unless they have been changed round. My previous car got through fronts a twice the rate of rears.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: C5III Tyres - recommendations?

Post by SaabC5 »

Tyres are so subjective its a nightmare recommending any specific brand. All i would say is what do you expect from a tyre, longevity or grip? You invariably trade one off for the other, the lower the wear rating the better the grip and the higher the wear rating the lower the grip. I'd thoroughly recommend http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for their prices though and you can get the tyres fitted/balanced at a local garage inclusive of the price. Work out what you want and then go to their website and be amazed at their prices. 8-)
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Thanks - I see you have a SAAB 9-5, that's what I have just replaced. (Saabtechtalk is your friend if you have not already been there). I will have a look at tyre-shopper. Looking around, I saw Conti Sport Contact on the mytyres website and clicked on more details. This is what it said (verbatim):
  • Summer tyres for cars and buses Modern high shyny with 3-D track . New Summer 2005, Continental Premium Contact 2. Dynamic design, a vigorous response to the acceleration, the best in its category at the wet road adhesion are characteristic features of the new tyres Continental Premium Contact 2. Sheen, as the previous model behaves like a cat's leg : Brake pressure on the wheel increases, leading to an increase patch, Under normal traffic conditions, the tyre remains narrow, square patch decreases.. Asymmetrical tread pattern has three operational areas : the outer side of the large, flat clusters responsible for the management and sustainability while driving in a corner. Closed shoulder external low-noise tyres in contact with the road. The average area of ammunition grooves provides high braking properties of dry and wet road.
I rather like the idea of sheen, cats legs and ammunition grooves on a tyre so may go for them. Then again, maybe not ....
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
fifth_cit
My Cars:

Post by fifth_cit »

I also have a C5III tourer but mine is an SX with 225/60 16. I also took the spare out of the boot and bought a michelin primacy and put the new ones on the front. About this time last year the back ones needed replacing and after a lot of research and soul searching went for a pair of Barum Bravuris.

They are made in Europe and Barum are owned by Continental. I am very happy with them and not had any white knuckle moments. They have a much more chunkier tread than the Michelins so I swapped them to the front for winter as the Michelins where pretty hopeless in the snow.

I got mine by looking on tyre shopper to get the prices and popping round to National Tyres (who fit them for Tyre shopper) and asked for a price match. No problem with that and they even through in a tyre warranty against accidental damage.

Hope this helps

Keith
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
Previous Citroens:-
05 C5 Facelift VTR 2.0Hdi
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I always stick with Michelins, you will often find they last a little longer and provide the best ride and comfort but excellent grip too. My C5II wears Michelin Pirmacy HPs and I like them, I won't be changing away from those.

However I have heard very good reports of Uniroyals, advertised as a rain tyre and the resutls show fairly decent winter performance too. They are made by Continental I think and in Germay. RainsportIIs will be the ones for your size I would think, or RainExperts.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

My 2p worth of advice:
- I used to work for General Motors in Australia, and I spoke a few times to their local tyre engineer about, well, tyres. His recommendation was Michelin first, Continental close second, then Bridgestone distant third, and then very very distant other manufacturers. He said that Michelin's and Continental's design, technology and manufacturing consistency is light years ahead of any other manufacturer.
- I have C5 series II (2005 model). I had new tyres fitted in May 2008 - Michelin Primacy HP. I am replacing the front set next week after 43000 miles. Yes, 43000 miles. The rear set should be good for another 5000 miles. I paid £141 each back then (215/55 16, fitted, etyres.co.uk) - in my opinion they are the best "budget" tyre out there. The cost of new HP's next week is £133 each (considering reinforced tyres for £144). You really need to shop around - the prices vary up to £60 per each tyre depending on retailer. Kwik Fit seem to have the cheapest Michelins at the moment.
- Michelin HP ride and comfort are really good. From my experience Michelins usually feel a little soft when compared to Continentals. Continentals, with their stiffer side walls, seem more "sporty" with better steering wheel feedback. But they don't last as long as Michelins.
- I gave my fairly worn HP's the ultimate braking test in August on a German autobahn: family of 4 onboard, 150kg of luggage in the boot, slightly wet concrete road surface. Panic braking (multiple car pile up in front) from 110mph to a complete stop - brake assist kicked in instantly, ABS kicked in only for a split second, and yet the car easily out-braked other cars. Superb tyres.

Cheers,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

43000 miles is excellent from a pair of C5 front tyres. My C5s original front tyres (Michelin Pilot Primacy) lasted until 18K miles. It now has Michelin Primacy HPs which have done around 5K miles and they are wearing well. Our C5 estate has had its Michelin Primacys on for 18K miles and all 4 still have 4mm of tread left.

I had a pair of Toyo T1-Rs on my last C5, they lasted 12K miles with mainly front use. Very good tyres but I wouldn't buy them again due to the high wear.

Michelins often do last longer and so it makes them far better value than they first appear.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

fifth_cit wrote: About this time last year the back ones needed replacing and after a lot of research and soul searching went for a pair of Barum Bravuris.
I'd recommend the Barum Bravuris as a good "intermediate" price tyre. I had them on both my Vel Satis and 9-5 at one point. They're not the pinnacle of performance but a good compromise price/wear/grip wise.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink: