Mk2 Xsara ABS Fault Light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dandare1980
My Cars:

Mk2 Xsara ABS Fault Light

Post by dandare1980 »

Hi,

I've just joined the forum hoping some enlightened folk will be able to offer some clues about an ABS problem.

My wife's 2001 MK2 Citroen Xsara Estate 2.0 HDi Auto (not the Picasso) has been displaying the ABS warning light for the last 6 months.

It's nearing the MOT in December and I'm guessing if the light remains on it will fail.

A while back and a good few months before the light came on, my father-in-law (ex-mechanic) helped me replace the n/s/f suspension coil which had snapped.

During the operation of knocking the shock absorber from the hub, he accidentally gave the road wheel speed sensor a good bash and broke it's cover.

Car was fine after this (apart from auto box suddenly deciding to do it's stick in third gear fault thing, but don't think this is related and now happens infrequently thankfully), then a few months later, on comes the ABS light.

Thinking it could be the n/s/f speed sensor after it's bash, I replaced it but to no avail.

I've checked the 10A mini blade ABS fuse in the engine bay and reseated the relay but no good. Also bled the brakes and changed the fluid to no effect.

I'm guessing if I had the correct fault reader the ABS ECU should give me a fault code to identify the problem? Would this plug into the diagnostics socket where the internal fuses live under the steering wheel?

I can't afford to buy a fault reader, but can anyone recommend a place to hire one or another method to read the fault codes?

If it makes any difference, the car has rear disc brakes and although I've manually adjusted the hand brake, it never seems to give a good hold on steep inclines. The rear pads and discs were replaced around a year ago, the fronts discs and pads about 9 months ago.

Any advice or ideas anyone can offer will be much appreciate.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9 D Estate (XUD9A indirect injection engine DJY with Bosch XUD 211 injection pump).
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Re: Mk2 Xsara ABS Fault Light

Post by addo »

First up, I suggest you look at the topic titled "Lexia Locations" - it will reveal the closest participating member with a diagnostic kit - fees by negotiation but most of us are quite accommodating.

Also the autobox - if it is an AL4 - will benefit from having the electrovalves replaced and the software updated, if these have not been done. Lexia will reveal the latter issue's currency, and stored fault codes the former.

ABS sensors are not too dear aftermarket.
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Thanks for the prompt response and helpful information addo.

Dan.
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9 D Estate (XUD9A indirect injection engine DJY with Bosch XUD 211 injection pump).
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

A quick update on my ABS fault.............

Forum member Chris570 kindly gave the ABS system the once over with his Lexia fault reader.

Good news (hopefully) is that a permanent fault lies with the o/s/r wheel speed sensor.

Bought one off eBay for £18 delivered, hope it's not cheap junk, it's in the post as I type.

Will report back with the results, fingers crossed!

Dan.
dandare1980
My Cars:

Post by dandare1980 »

Hopefully fixed it now.

After destructively removing the previous speed sensor through a combination of snapping it in half with mole grips then drilling/cold chiselling the remainder out, fitted the new sensor and after turning the ignition on the light went out after the 2 second delay (as it should!).

Managed to remove the sensor without taking the rear pads and disc out, just needed to removed the shield from around the disc which is held on by 3 T27 Torx botls (2 top, 1 bottom). The shield then slips over the top of the sensor. Disconnecting the sensor was relatively easy compared to the front one I did earlier as the connector was in plain sight above the rear torsion bar (not on the inner wing and a pig to get to).

Haven't been able to test drive it yet as using an electric fan heater to dry up the flood of coolant which has soaked the passenger foot well, courtesy of my next job, a knackered heater matrix.

Thanks again to forum member Chris570 who kindly diagnosed the faulty sensor with his Lexia.

Let's hope it passes it's MOT tomorrow............

Dan.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good stuff Dan, a satisfying job, replacing a rear abs sensor.. in the end :)

find some gravel or you may get some ice soon ;) sure it's all fine now if the light has extinguished..

good luck for MOT..
John