Help please - Xantia II heater blower

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Help please - Xantia II heater blower

Post by Peter.N. »

Have you checked for 12 volts across the input plug? If present make sure its still there with the fan turned on, if not it could be the under bonnet fuse box. If its the same as the XM the heater blower will only work while the engine is running. You can probably chek the motor by applying 12 v to the brushes - if its a permanent magnet motor, I can't remember, if not one connection goes to one brush and the other to the end of the field coils.

Peter
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Panic over!

Disassembled and reassembled again - now fan is on all the time again! Boy am I relieved! I'm ordering the bits from eBay so as to replace the trannies.
MPV

Post by MPV »

CitroJim wrote:In my experience they die because the circuit is actually rather crudely designed and there is no effective control of current sharing between the two darlingtons. This causes one to pass more current than the other and eventually one goes open-circuit. Then with only one of the pair working, it is overloaded and eventually goes short-circuit. All this just to save a couple of low value emitter resistors which would have helped balance current sharing enormously...
Probably done deliberately so you have to buy a new module at an over inflated price. Same thing for the indicator relays which tick tick away at random after a few years due to a resistor not being fitted.
Synergie XUD9 - the "Duck-billed-clatterbus"
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

rmunns wrote:Panic over!
That's good :-D A tip when replacing the transistors - just a smear of heatsink compound (heat transfer paste) all over the underside of each transistor is all you need; don't go mad with the stuff as too much has the reverse effect and blocks heat transfer. Also, don't solder the base and emitter leads until the transistors are fully screwed down o the heatsink.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...