ZX 1.9D Glow Plugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ossian

ZX 1.9D Glow Plugs

Post by ossian »

Hi,
I own a zx Reflex just read that the glowplugs usually need replacing at 70,000 miles, does this sound correct? How much is it for a set of glowplugs?
No engine problems for me at the moment just wondered for the future.
Thanks
Tony
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Depends on the brand of glowplugs fitted really - cheaper brands like NGK are a false economy as they rarely last 30,000 miles. These engines seem to do best on Bosch or Beru plugs, usually £6-£7 each, but my car has done nearly 75k on a set of Lucas plugs and it still starts perfectly.
alaws

Post by alaws »

Hi Tony,
As a general rule it's only worth changing the glow plugs when you experience a starting problem.
These plugs can last for years, or can fail on the first glow (as I've found out).
If you go to start the car and it seems to be a bit rougher kicking over, and takes a few more turns to get going it usually points to a defective glow plug. Usually the first cold spell of the winter will highlight the dodgy glow plugs.
Before you jump in and change the glow plugs, just check that the rail is getting 12v supply when the ignition is initailly turned on. This can be checked by connecting a voltmeter to the wire connecting the glow pluds and an engine earth. The ignition can the be switched on so the glow light is showing on the dash, and then checking the voltmeter for 12v. ( A 12v bulb may be used instead of the voltmeter. This is worth checking as I replaced the glow plugs on my turbo diesel only to find out it was the preheating relay that had failed.
The old glow plugs may be checked once they have been removed - A quick visual check will show up major damage, but by connecting the terminal to a wire and then to 12v +ve, and holding the metal shank with insulated pliers against a 12v -ve terminal the plug should glow red after about 3-5 seconds. If all 4 work, it would indicate your problem lies elsewhere.
If you do replace them, replace all of them at the same time. It is false economy to change just one, as you can guarantee another one will fail a couple of days later.
When you install them, give the threads of the new ones a thin coat of copper ease. This will help the earth contact, and ease the removal the next time - My next door neighbor snapped one of his and it cost him £300 to have the head removed and the damaged glow plug tapped out.
It's not a hard job, but just ensure you have fully disconnected the battery before you start.
I hope this helps
Andy