C5 Front Wishbones

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andybsmith

C5 Front Wishbones

Post by andybsmith »

Excuse my ignorance but how difficult is it to change either the complete front wishbone assembly or the bushes for the wishbones? My C5 has an occasional knocking sound from the front suspension, I know that it isn't the droplinks, lower ball joints, suspension rams, trackrod ends or wheel bearings. This makes me think that it must be the wishbone bushes, so is it easier to change the whole unit or just the bushes. If its any help the knocking occurs when the wheels are turned either left or right and the car is moving ie sharp right or left turn over Sheffields laughable roads. Also how can I check the wear in the bushes is it just a matter of trying to lever them or is it better to disconnect the rest of the suspension from the wishbone and then see if it has any play? I really need help on this because it is starting to drive me mad.
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's not hard to get wishbones off; be sure to disconnect the height corrector linkage before anything else. Then droplink bottoms undone, loosen the antiroll bar clamps and swivel the bar downwards for better access. Balljoints next, then remove control arm mount bolts and out they come.

Front bushing is not especially oriented, however rear bushing needs to be installed at same "clocking" as original. For most cars, this is where the outer balljoint is in the same horizontal plane as the mounts' pivoting centreline.
andybsmith

Re: C5 Front Wishbones

Post by andybsmith »

When you say "clocking" I assume that is the position that the nuts are tightened for that part of the wishbone?
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Not quite. The bushes are a tight press fit on the spindles of your lower arm. As the rear bush is a stepped alloy casting, it locates only one way on the subframe - this in turns affects the angle the lower arm sticks out at.

The idea is, at normal driving height the bush is not twisted or strained at all - it lasts longest this way.

If you know the bushes to be original, then exactly mimicking their orientation is the cheat's approach.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: C5 Front Wishbones

Post by Xantidote »

You describe the sound as being a knocking from the front suspension, and you've eliminated various components as being the problem. Is it the roads/potholes/bumps causing the problem, or is it only when you have left/right lock on, in which case could it be wear in the CV joints? Just a thought.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )