Shuddering brakes Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ace131
My Cars:

Shuddering brakes Xantia

Post by ace131 »

Hi Guys and Gals,
Boyfriend has got a T reg petrol Xantia. He changed the front brake hoses a few weeks ago and now there is a shuddering at all speeds when the brakes are applied but more so when brakes are applied harshly.
Any ideas and solutions would be greatly appreciated. ABS has been mentioned but it seems strange that this has only happened since the new hoses fitted.
Personally I have NO idea what ABS is. I leave that to the men - lolol.
Love and hugs, Jessica x :D
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Well hello Jessica ;)

I have the same problem.. shaky braky. I put new discs on 18 months ago,, I am wondering if they were just cheap rubbish though..

I will be looking into it soon.. i.e. within a couple of weeks.. just need to move lodgings, again! ... :twisted:

someone else will be able to concur that new hoses could cause this.. may be the brakes need bleeding, would certainly try this (again)

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Jessica..

Seems odd at face value that changing hoses can cause this..

Did he remove the calipers to do this or did he leave them in place. Reason I ask is if he reassembled the calipers wrongly, possibly re-using the old pads and not replacing them exactly from where they came from or forgot the anti-rattle springs..

I do hope he bled them. I wonder if he did, knowning the location of the bleed nipples, if he managed to contaminate the pads with LHM. Easy enough to do...

Get him to tell you exactly what he did and how he did it... That may help shed some light...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd suggest it's air. Try bleeding half a cup out each side the Citroën way (length of broomstick jamming the pedal on with motor running), then road test.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If it has ABS it would be a good idea to check that none of the reluctor rings are cracked/loose on the drive shafts.