C5 Steering Vibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StevieOMG
My Cars:

C5 Steering Vibration

Post by StevieOMG »

For the last few months, I have had a dull thump from the front wheels and steering vibration. Today I changed the droplinks and the dull thump has gone however, the steering vibration remains. Its not wheel balance or tracking as have had these checked. When driving today, I adjusted the steering rake and low and behold no vibration - at least for a short time and then it returned. I read somewhere that there was a known fault with a clamp on the steering rack that needed to be pinched tighter. Can anyone point me n the right direction or provide any advice.

p.s. it passed MOT last week and is a Mk1 110 diesel estate

Also might be worth saying that my rear has been dropping for the last eighteen months when parked. I raised the rear on trolley jacks and lubed everything I could and did some citrobics. Appears to have done the trick. so far anyway
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

If it is the camlp on the steering rack then you will get a rattling/chatter through the steering wheel over rought surfaces. Are you getting this?

If the wheel wobble is at speedo and not making a noise in the above way, have a check that your front brakes are not binding on. The handbrake levers on the front calipers have a tendancy to get a bit sticky and hold the brake. This does very often cause a wheel wobble.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
StevieOMG
My Cars:

Post by StevieOMG »

Citroenmad wrote:If it is the camlp on the steering rack then you will get a rattling/chatter through the steering wheel over rought surfaces. Are you getting this?
Cirtroenmad many thanks. Yes its only on rough surfaces and can best be described as a chattering. Have checked brakes are not binding and handsbrake ok.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep, that does sound like a problem with the steering rack clamp having play in it.

I believe it can be removed and pinched and that does cure it. I have not done it myself though.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

StevieOMG wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:If it is the camlp on the steering rack then you will get a rattling/chatter through the steering wheel over rought surfaces. Are you getting this?
Cirtroenmad many thanks. Yes its only on rough surfaces and can best be described as a chattering. Have checked brakes are not binding and handsbrake ok.
You will find it is where the column passes through a bush down low near the universal joint. It was a common issue on the early C5's, and a revised column was released. I had it on my 2002, never fixed it due to cost. Now driving around in one of the last Mk1's and happily this is not an issue.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

mlkey wrote:
StevieOMG wrote:
You will find it is where the column passes through a bush down low near the universal joint. It was a common issue on the early C5's, and a revised column was released. I had it on my 2002, never fixed it due to cost. Now driving around in one of the last Mk1's and happily this is not an issue.
That is interesting, I didn't know it was modified along the production run. I have only had that problem on a 2002 C5 and not later ones, which explains it.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10