Getting a synergie

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Foggyoutcome

Getting a synergie

Post by Foggyoutcome »

I'm ditching the idea of a xantia and now getting a synergie. Wanted one for ages and now realise i need more room than the xantia.
I Know a little aready about the motor 1.9td but my understanding is the gearbox has water ingress problems. First how would i find out if the gearbox has any faults and second is there a remedy or prefention to sort the problem.
Dippy
My Cars:

Re: Getting a synergie

Post by Dippy »

Foggyoutcome wrote:I'm ditching the idea of a Xantia and now getting a synergie. Wanted one for ages and now realise i need more room than the Xantia.
I Know a little aready about the motor 1.9td but my understanding is the gearbox has water ingress problems. First how would i find out if the gearbox has any faults and second is there a remedy or prefention to sort the problem.
Never had a problem in 11yrs from new. and it's seen plenty of wading / snow .

Don't know if all 1.9TD's are same , but ours has a fill + drain plug on the gearbox , the drain has a pickup magnet on it .

I have the gear oil changed every 12K - semi synth 75/80 , gearchange still sweet .
Foggyoutcome

Post by Foggyoutcome »

that will be one of the first things i do then :)
danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

I would love to get some Synergie pictures. its an unsung Citroen really and I think they are great. Can someone email me some Synergie pictures please?
C3 Automatic.
"la vie est belle"
"c'est elle que J'aime"
www.tvcitroen.com
www.renaulttv.co.uk
www.pubstv.com
"arive en France"
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

I sold one earlier this year...

1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
MPV

Post by MPV »

Nice pics! Wish mine looked like that. I've done 40,000 miles in mine over the last 4 or 5 years and it's 11 years old. No gearbox problems, although can take a bit of effort to get it into reverse sometimes. The gearbox will depend on the engine type, it could be your gearbox info is for the 2.1 TD or the HDi model.

Go for the 1.9 Turbo, the good old XUD9 model. Very reliable with basic care and runs on almost anything. The thing to watch is the radiator. This is just about big enough to keep the engine cool, just! It cloggs up over time and then before you know it you've overheated and destroyed the engine. When you look at a Synergie, take the cap off the expansion tank and look at the quality of the coolant. Run the engine up to temp and look for bubbles bubbling up. If you see them, the gasket has gone. Check for water in the oil too. Make sure the cambelt has been done as scheduled along with the water pump. Check that the belt tensioners are adjusted properly and not rattling around. The ball joints may be worn, but are cheap to buy and replace. Check the fuel return hoses on the injectors, they can perish easily and leak fuel and let air in, especially with the terminator on the last injector. You will probably want to replace the fuel feed pipe in the engine bay, it's too long and made up of lots of different connectors and materials that perish and let in air. Replace it all with a short piece of 9mm fuel hose - makes a big difference. Other than that and they are reliable workhorses and mine gets used for all sorts of jobs, not to mention camping holidays!
Synergie XUD9 - the "Duck-billed-clatterbus"
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Cracking motors, though I've never had a synergie, I owned a pug 806 1.9td a long time ago, sold it with only 50k on clock at 4 yrs old (idiot!) only cos i got divorced (clever!). When I met another woman with kids bought an ex taxi Ulyssee jtd, read synergie hdi, with 240000 miles on clock for £800 on good ole fleabay, did a further 50000 in 2&1/2 years, it only cost me oil changes, tyres and one set of front brakes. Also drove one at work with over 500000 miles, engine and interior had been replaced, but you would never have known it was over 50k. I would have another in a heartbeat if I needed a car that size again.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

MPV wrote:Nice pics! Wish mine looked like that. I've done 40,000 miles in mine over the last 4 or 5 years and it's 11 years old. No gearbox problems, although can take a bit of effort to get it into reverse sometimes. The gearbox will depend on the engine type, it could be your gearbox info is for the 2.1 TD or the HDi model.

Go for the 1.9 Turbo, the good old XUD9 model. Very reliable with basic care and runs on almost anything. The thing to watch is the radiator. This is just about big enough to keep the engine cool, just! It cloggs up over time and then before you know it you've overheated and destroyed the engine. When you look at a Synergie, take the cap off the expansion tank and look at the quality of the coolant. Run the engine up to temp and look for bubbles bubbling up. If you see them, the gasket has gone. Check for water in the oil too. Make sure the cambelt has been done as scheduled along with the water pump. Check that the belt tensioners are adjusted properly and not rattling around. The ball joints may be worn, but are cheap to buy and replace. Check the fuel return hoses on the injectors, they can perish easily and leak fuel and let air in, especially with the terminator on the last injector. You will probably want to replace the fuel feed pipe in the engine bay, it's too long and made up of lots of different connectors and materials that perish and let in air. Replace it all with a short piece of 9mm fuel hose - makes a big difference. Other than that and they are reliable workhorses and mine gets used for all sorts of jobs, not to mention camping holidays!
Our Rad was changed due to getting a stone through it , have to wonder if yours has correct rad ? ours is massive - akin to a LGV and car has always run cool , even towing . I think all rads may silt up if coolant not changed regular .
Header tank is way up high so easy coolant change - easy to get air out .
No balljoint wear ever - 1 bush on wishbone - so we had both wishbones changed ( potholed roads) balljoints a Twit to seperate .
Only 1.9td head gasket "problem " we had - twenty years ago - was a BX with a stuck thermostat ( 1.7 td actually)- our Synergie has never used or lost a drop of coolant apart from stone damage..
Never had issue with fuel feed though I do take note of your suggestion - leak off pipes changed though as routine stuff.
Belt Tensioner - Garage made a cods earole of one ( didn't know how to do it proper) mate sorted it , now on 3rd aux tensioner in 118K - should have been 2 though . now change with cambelt / w.pump + change belt every 12K as you say fairly critical if it gets behind cambelt - as our 406 did ! ( 2.1 td) .
Rev gear ? only when stone cold gear oil - put into 1st then rev. no problems after .
Only used on pump fuel so don't know about other substances . Tesco diesel crap - so use treatment in fuel filter once in a while.
Elecric spring - contacts on sliding doors need a good contact cleaner / wd40 once in a while to prevent gremlins .
Never worked out the combination of interior lights - rubiks cube has less perms.
Eats rear engine mtng every 4 - 5 years . should have bought OEM from stealer not GSF !

Been lookin for good reason to sell Synthia but never found one in over 5 yrs. - time for change now due to unrepeatble offer from BIL.with G.Pic
Not really luck of draw - just good maintainance. like all cars.
Sales pitch ? possibly but it's absolutely true - best all round car ever owned. :) Highly recommended - best engine ever !