DEX - The Return

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

DEX - The Return

Post by gadgetgricey »

As some may know just recently bought DEX with fuel pump issues and have every intention of getting her back on the road. (Like I did with the V6 I purchased)

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

However dont seem to get much "me" time anymore so there may/will be long gaps before I'm able to do any work on the car, so expect long gaps and then a couple of days work in between :lol: (Also in no great rush as my 1.9TD is still running as smoothly as ever.)

Basic Summary is that the fuel pump has been diagnosed as faulty. When you first get in the car, it wont start up and stay at tickover.
You have to start it with a boot full of throttle to get the car running, and then reduce the rev's to about 2000 to keep it going. (Any less and it runs the risk of cutting out)
Managed to get the car back the 100 miles in this state, brushing up on my left foot braking as I go :D

However when I got back noticed something strange, the car was ticking over fine at about 800 rpm????

Went back to it a couple of hours later and the car started fine without any throttle.

Left it again and went back to it around 20:00 last night and the fault had returned. Took it for a spin again, and car actually cut out this time (In roadworks of all places) , but I managed to get it started and got the car home.

However after the run, it was once again ticking over fine????

Know very little about diesels, but wondered if there was something else affecting it other than the pump.

Any advice appreciated as always.

Cheers

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I believe Jim has done a diagnosis on this car/pump so I'm not going to argue at all with him on that but in the meantime its worth checking that no air is being drawn into the pump by either the return pipes or more commonly the primer bulb as that causes mayhem EPIC pumps, particularly when idling.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dave,

Delighted you now have Dex... :D

I have my suspicions that it may be fuel starvation causing this. I once had a belief that there was a vacuum building up in the tank... Try running with the fuel filler cap off...

If that does not help, check the fuel stttrainer in the tak is clear.. I'm thinking the pump has trouble sucking up fuel at low RPM and there is something resisting this suck... It may be rubbish but it's a thought...

In the meantime I'll get my thinking cap on as there is something odd going on here...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Sorry no Xantia experience but if the fuel pipes are similar then on diesel XM's there is a regular high mileage fuel starvation problem that is difficult to track down. Where the fuel pipes come up the back of the engine bay bulkhead they change from steel to rubber to provide a flexible link onto the engine. With time these pipes tend to produce a very small split in the rubber at the steel pipe end. In the early stages the split seals most of the time and it takes engine vibration to make the pipe leak air giving uneven and unpredictable engine running. In the later stages air leaks in while standing and starting gets poor. Even at this stage the split is virtually impossible to find as it is always bulkhead side, very small and lets air in so never wet with fuel.

John
Xmexclusive
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Was thinking about that as the first port of call, seeing if I can create a seperate fuel tank to feed the pump.

If the car then runs (and starts) normally then its something else pipes etc, and not the pump.

Now just got to figure out how to do that :D :D Is there a priming pump on the 2.1TD the same as the 1.9, as I could fit something there???

Cheers all, keep the comments coming.

- Dave -
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Fuel Heater on RH (from front) end of block, air leakage through seals on this device is not uncommon on older engines, simple matter to bypass.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I don't know what pressures are needed from fuel tank pump but there are the small Facet/SU type pumps from old Landrover that might be rigged up to bypass original tank.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

lexi wrote:I don't know what pressures are needed from fuel tank pump but there are the small Facet/SU type pumps from old Landrover that might be rigged up to bypass original tank.
Only HDi's and petrol Xantia's have fuel tank pumps but you could be along the right lines although I don't know what effect pressure on the EPIC pump will cause as they are sensitive souls.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Only HDi's and petrol Xantia's have fuel tank pumps but you could be along the right lines although I don't know what effect pressure on the EPIC pump will cause as they are sensitive souls

Ah Right! No pump in tank. So the old primer bulb trick with with an inline filter on hose ,fed to Epic from a 5litre can will eliminate the cars fuel tank and hoses etc.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Just another query if that's Ok.

Would the car being parked on a slight incline provoke any of the symptoms described????

All I've done so far is drive the car for that day on the temp cover I took out, and then parked it in the garage.

Had cause to move it last night, (not been moved for three days) and its started first time with no issues and was ticking over fine, but my garage is on the flat.

Just wondered if an incline may be causing issues when parked or being driven. The more I think about this, the less I think its the pump.

Cheers

- Dave -
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Umm, yes, parking on a steep incline may have an effect Dave...

If it allows fuel to drain back from the pump to the tank then yes. This should be provable by parking nose down as this'll keep the pump full by gravity then...

Your thoughts on the pump are mine also...

It's a bloody odd one, that's for sure... It needs the bloke from 221b Baker Street on the case...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It needs the bloke from 221b Baker Street on the case...
Who Gerry Rafferty??

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:
It needs the bloke from 221b Baker Street on the case...
Who Gerry Rafferty??
:rofl:

I read that at work and absolutely creased up. Everybody looked around to see what had happened to me...
Jim

gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

CitroJim wrote: If that does not help, check the fuel stttrainer in the tak is clear.. I'm thinking the pump has trouble sucking up fuel at low RPM and there is something resisting this suck... It may be rubbish but it's a thought...
OK the fun hopefully starts this weekend. first on the agenda to eliminate is the fuel strainer in the tank. Is this accessable under the back seats or rear boot floor?

Please dont tell me its a tank out job, otherwise I may choose to do something else first :D :shock:

- Dave -
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Lift up back seat behind driver's, pop off black rubber disc, fit cable ties to the pipes to stop them slipping down the side of the tank when you free them, unscrew the white retainer you may need to gently knock it with a screwdriver but be very careful you don't crack it!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool