what is the most comfortable Citroen?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

which is the most comfortable Citroen?

DS
20%
GS
No votes
CX Prestige / GTI turbo
28%
XM
12%
Xantia Exclusive (Hydractive) / Actva
16%
C5 MK1/2 (Hydractive)
16%
C6
No votes
SM
No votes
something else
8%

Total votes: 25

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Thanks for that info - it helps to keep tabs on these rare cars. :D

Oh yes, they are special! Dad's Maikonics Kit (and Maikonics Exhaust System) is for the CX GTi Turbo 2 (250BHP and 320FT/LB Torque) - brilliant, just brilliant. 8-)
Franklin
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Dickie, you seem to either mis-read what is written or don't understand. I think your skills are best used behind the wheel of a car. And I'm a little less ready to warble on about my abilities.

A courteous reply to a fairly silly one? I seem to have upset you a little.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

guys ... we are not doing the fwd good rwd bad 4wd awesome here, though it was a good read :)

my own belief is that rwd is more fun for throwing around corners, but that a fwd handles better, as it pulls rather than pushes.

regarding the reason why rwd is only used by audi in their flagship cars vs rwd, the reason is simple, misconceptions. people who buy expensive cars buy for image and image says fwd car bad.

mhh maybe i'll make a post on whether fwd is better than rwd :)

but back to the topic at hand.

i do like a good cx, very comfy and diravi is an awesome piece of tech that was abandoned (to misconceptions) that the xm and xantia needed.

in terms of fast handling, i think nothing can beat an activa .... regardless of fwd, awd, rwd ... though the merc cl with abc is meant to be better, but i've yet to get a go in one ...
why?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Spaces wrote:Dickie, you seem to either mis-read what is written or don't understand. I think your skills are best used behind the wheel of a car. And I'm a little less ready to warble on about my abilities.

A courteous reply to a fairly silly one? I seem to have upset you a little.
You have your opinion I have mine, I'll let others decide about whether I can understand your points, clearly by the above statement you think I shouldn't offer my thoughts and experiences to others or challenge your opinions as you "think my skills are best used behind the wheel of a car" nice one, how dare me to have an opinion based upon personal experience and have the audacity to put them into print for others to consider.

As for my abilities behind the wheel well if you choose to compare yourself to me by making the following statement I'm merely asking you to justify that by producing evidence rather than hiding behind supposedly signing something, I say put up or shut up on that point.
Spaces wrote:Without wanting to say too much about my driving experiences since I signed something to say I wouldn't (and yes, before you ask, apart from the obvious they have all been legitimate!) I have probably had very similar experiences to Dickie.

I don't profess to be the oracle when it comes to driving but I believe my CV does stand up rather well as its based upon using everyday cars on public roads in the most demanding circumstances and try as I might I cannot think of any other organisation able to offer the experiences that I've been fortunate enough to enjoy.
Spaces wrote:A courteous reply to a fairly silly one? I seem to have upset you a little.
Yes you have as I find you very rude and discourteous as you clearly think its perfectly acceptable for you to talk down to me as if I'm some lesser being and lacking in substance, the following statement is a prime example.
Spaces wrote:Dickie, you really should buy yourself a decent GS sometime to replace the soft-top 3-series. Then maybe you'd see the smoothness point of view from the suspension perspective, not just the steering pov! Bet you'd hate the heel and lack of 'image' but they're huge fun and as good a reason as any to understand why front wheel drive is inherently more accomplished in a front-engined car... now why can't I see that happening... :chin:
Unfortunately for you you clearly know very little about me which explains why you wrongly assumed that I had no personal experience of GS's and thought the above statement might embarrass me. Had you thought more carefully you would have worded the statement differently by posing the question to ask if I had driven a GS rather than wrongly assume I hadn't. Unlike yourself I only comment on what I know to be true and can be underpinned with solid evidence.

I do wonder whether I detect a degree of jealously and resentment in your comments projected towards me due to my employment and experience which is only available to a very select few hence the need to constantly challenge me in this and other threads. I won't bother replying to you in the future as I have better things to do with my time as I don't need to justify myself to anyone. I don't have a problem with anyone not agreeing with me or my opinions but when doing so please have the common courtesy to at least be polite and show respect to others. Trying to ridicule me and my ability to put my thoughts into print really does show you to be rude and ignorant in my opinion, end of conversation.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

davoxx wrote:guys ... we are not doing the fwd good rwd bad 4wd awesome here, though it was a good read :)
Can I remind you we are on the FCF here :lol:
davoxx wrote:my own belief is that rwd is more fun for throwing around corners, but that a fwd handles better, as it pulls rather than pushes.

regarding the reason why rwd is only used by audi in their flagship cars vs rwd, the reason is simple, misconceptions. people who buy expensive cars buy for image and image says fwd car bad.
FWD is limited to about 200bhp due to the weight being transferred to the rear under acceleration and the reason why the latest powerful engined FWD cars restrict engine output until the car is travelling faster than 10-20 mph to reduce wheelspin which makes for an 'interesting' experience when pulling onto roundabout and out of side junctions.

As 200bhp is now seen as the minimum acceptable power for a large executive saloon or sports car there is a basic problem using FWD,,,
davoxx wrote:in terms of fast handling, i think nothing can beat an activa .... regardless of fwd, awd, rwd ... though the merc cl with abc is meant to be better, but i've yet to get a go in one ...
Activa's hold on well through corners but as for the driving experience I'm not so impressed, interesting cars as far as technology is concerned but for me they don't compare with an E30 M3 for car handling and steering feedback.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Dickie, if you don't appear to read/understand points others are making and don't enter into a civilised debate then it is the equivalent of someone just shouting their own mantra amid an otherwise fair discussion. It doesn't really make much sense when this is called a 'discussion forum'.

I have made a couple of attempts to prick what comes over as a degree of pomposity and inflated ego on this forum - I'm sure in the flesh you are rather more balanced. I'm sorry you find me rude and discourteous.

One thing we do have in common is having used the two same cars - a GS and Sud. I chose the Citroen as the better car, but continued to own and use the Alfa for its delightful brio and its easy-to-access 'grin factor'. The little 1300 (twin carb) engine I had in a SudSprint was very economical, too - more so than the Citroen boxer which I feel was never really completed in its design. It worked, enough had been spent, so it went into production? But they are tremendously tough, unlike the Alfa unit.
Last edited by Spaces on 02 Oct 2011, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
Spaces
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Back on topic, here are the three Citroens I have owned/own which I think are the most comfortable as driver, according to davoxx's criteria. I haven't owned any XMs, I've assumed they'll be like a super-Xantia or BX - might be wrong?

CX lwb 2.4 inj/turbo diesel
GS
DS 2.1 inj

Such was the variability of Citroen's quality/English mechanics back then that I have also travelled in examples of these cars which have been fairly unpleasant.

Some cars are particularly sensitive to the road type. On fast Highland roads a DS can be breathtakingly good, yet cross over to Skye and it can feel quite out of sorts, whereas a CX becomes even more incredible.

Engine noise quality is part of a vehicle's comfort - hard-working four cylinder engines can develop a droning boom which becomes wearing as the miles pile on. I have found Renault-engined CXs bad in this respect, yet on a long fast journey in a 4 cyl (3 speed) Traction (steady 80 for 4 hours) I didn't find the fast revving long-stroke engine wearing, to my great surprise.

Any boxer engine get better and better the longer the journey, I think it is to do with both frequency of the noise and harmonics which are created. Nothing better, for my taste.
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

feedback sucks and is over rated, i only like feedback when i'm on a motorbike, otherwise i could not care less as long as the car went where i pointed it :D

to me comfort is different to the driving experience.

for driving experience i want noise loads of g force and to kick the back out :twisted:

for comfort i want to be able to get home without suffering any fatigue, and i don't want to slow down for corners (i'd prefer not to :)) nor do i want to creep over speed bumps ...

anyway .. i've added a poll!!!!
why?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I must add my Landy ser 2 with heavy duty springs to the list. With 14 paving slabs in the back it is almost comfy and handles like crazy :lol: :lol:

The huge wheelbase of CX and wishbone supension has got to be more comfy than Xantia?. Lwb rides the bumps better in general.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Did the XM owners just vote for the XM's the DS owners for the DS's etc etc etc??? :lol: surely the softest ride has to go to the DS? maybe CX at a push and best handling hydraulic Citroen would be the Activa? with the XM sitting in the middle as a compromise with a longer wheelbase than a Xant and the same Hydractive setup????

C6 i cant really remember my drive in too much but it was soft & stuck rather well, but then you dont throw someone elses car about so we need an unbiased C6 owner.................Steve :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No, I was a long time CX owner and apart from the improved creature comforts on the XM, I prefer the CX 8-)

Peter
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Deanxm wrote:Did the XM owners just vote for the XM's the DS owners for the DS's etc etc etc??? :lol: surely the softest ride has to go to the DS? maybe CX at a push and best handling hydraulic Citroën would be the Activa? with the XM sitting in the middle as a compromise with a longer wheelbase than a Xant and the same Hydractive setup????
That sounds about right to me Dean, DS is the most floaty. They each have their different advantages.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

Deanxm wrote:with the XM sitting in the middle as a compromise with a longer wheelbase than a Xant and the same Hydractive setup????
the difference of 7cm :)

a lwb xm would beat the cx i reckon - i do agree the cx is nice and soft, but like i said way to wafty, like driving a boat. if it stiffened up appropriately, it would be awesome.

i'm told that running an activa on softer spheres makes it better than an xantia exclusive or xm. has anyone tried this?
why?
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

davoxx wrote:i'm told that running an activa on softer spheres makes it better than an Xantia exclusive or xm. has anyone tried this?
Yes I have and its isn't due to the stiff anti-roll bars and the ARCS when cornering, Activa sphere's are a little 'softer' than standard Hydractive spheres to start with due to having slightly larger damper holes.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

DickieG wrote:
davoxx wrote:i'm told that running an activa on softer spheres makes it better than an Xantia exclusive or xm. has anyone tried this?
Yes I have and its isn't due to the stiff anti-roll bars and the ARCS when cornering, Activa sphere's are a little 'softer' than standard Hydractive spheres to start with due to having slightly larger damper holes.
which spheres did you use?
have you tried drilling normal xantia spheres or are they too soft?
why?