BX Electric window failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tcb123

BX Electric window failure

Post by tcb123 »

Hi all,
The Front electric windows on my BX have died! both at the same time!
any ideas on the cause?
Fuses are ok, 12v to the motor ok, 12v to the switches ok!
is the motor supposed to have 12v on each terminal? where does the earth come from?
regards
Tom[:(]
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Hi Tom,
I am expecting that the motor is a simple 2 terminal dc motor, and it will be reversed by changing the polarity.
If that is the case then either terminal could be +12v depending upon which way you want it to turn. If it measures 12v on both terminals it definately won't work, although that might actually be normal with the switch in the stop position - sorry but I don't have a wiring diagram to confirm.
If you get +12v on each terminal when the switch is pressed then I think you ought to start looking for a dodgy earth.
Andy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

tom -
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">where does the earth come from?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This is your problem [:)]
The earth wire is ONLY supplied to driver's door - since the winder motor in passenger door is is feeded off the voltage delivered from the remote switch wirepair (in rest position).
Having no schematic - you quickly run dry on the logic here - especially in the present summer heat [:p][:p]
The earth wire is split into 4 feeds going to both DRIVER door's control switches.
On the control switches you find this earth on pins 2 & 4 both switches. Since the connector is a 5 pin - it's easy to locate pins 2 & 4 : the second pin from either end.
You'll find the earth wires are black - but so are the 12V feed to DRIVER door's control switch also [:(]
Strangely the 12V feed - to remote passenger control switch - is blue [;)]
In general use this guide on the control switches :
pins 1 & 5 (outer pins) on connector is OUTPUT to motor.
pins 2 & 4 (second pin either end) is earth feed.
pin 5 (middle pin) is 12V feed.
Based on my own experience - my first try would be the earth connector block found on LHS of the steering rack - under the plastic covers.
Here you find 2 connectors - held by a dodgy clip - usually one (or both) connectors has rattled off.
Remove that dodgy nylon clip/casing over the connectors - and secure the connectors with quickstrips.
tcb123

Post by tcb123 »

Thanks guys! I will check it out tommorow.
Meantime, The engine has decided not to shut off when the ignition key is turned to the off position :-(
Wonder if this is all connected in some way.
regards
Tom
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tom -
The earth connector block I refer to - is in fact the junction/fusebox earth point.
Indeed VERY likely problems are related then -
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just out of curiosity, could anyone confirm that the system used on the BX is the same as the one used on the Pug 405.
I presume that it may be but there are cases where these 2 vehicles can be like chalk & cheese even though they pour them out of the same tap.
Alan S
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

AlanS -
Once got a handfull of spare switches from a 505 - slightly different rocker design - but same connector & pinning.
Would think the 405 use exactly same system -
tcb123

Post by tcb123 »

Hi all,
First off all many thanks to those who helped track this one down!
It was in fact a broken earth wire, in the convoluted rubber shield between the door and body.[:)]
Just hope this also fixes the fuel shut off valve and that the engine will now shut down[:(] will have to recharge the battery first to check this one out though[:(!]
regards
Tom
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

- good job Tom [:)]
- now check those earth connector blocks on the steering frame. It's a known BX problem.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

The wiring for the 405 is very different, and teh switches on some models are different (having illumination). Went to fit 'one-button-down' system to my mates 405 estate, the wiring seems totally different. We didnt investigate so it could just be different configuration (longer wires, different colours etc), but the swithes with the lights in have a different connector (i wanted to fit them to the BX but cant [:(] well not without major surgery [:)] )