Xantia hydraulics woes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Derekofpriory
My Cars:

Xantia hydraulics woes?

Post by Derekofpriory »

Hi all, Since we threatened to change cars our 90 Hdi SX Xantia has started to give me a bit of hydraulics bother. Symptoms so far, power steering getting heavy especially at tick-over and turning right, citrobics are getting very slow, from bottom setting to high setting- 40 seconds before anything happens then a further 90 seconds to high position. I have cleaned both filters in the tank, new fluid was put in when all spheres were changed in January 1k miles ago. I checked fluid level on high setting and added 400ml to bring indicator to top line. Whilst watching the tank during citrobics there were a heck of a lot of bubbles about. (its frothy, man) for those who remember Cresta :) I know air in hydraulics isn't good so any ideas where to look if this could be causing my problems, or alternatively other options please.
Thanks in anticipation,
Derek B.
our car spent Friday afternoon and Monday morning in the electrics area of the Factory!!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

From your description it sounds as if air is leaking into the pump inlet pipe, as its under suction it won't leak fluid but draw in air. Check the jubilee clips at the pipe ends failing that replace the pipe.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Derekofpriory
My Cars:

Post by Derekofpriory »

Thanks for that sir, would that be the rubber pipe on top that has about 10mm bore? It would appear to be the only one that is not capable of taking significant pressure.
Thanks again,
Derek B.
our car spent Friday afternoon and Monday morning in the electrics area of the Factory!!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Derekofpriory wrote:Thanks for that sir, would that be the rubber pipe on top that has about 10mm bore? It would appear to be the only one that is not capable of taking significant pressure.
Yes that's the one, you may be able to sort the problem by trimming back the end of the hose at the end/s but if you need to replace it sourcing a new one from Citroen will make your eyes water (well over £100) so alternatives are petrol pipe or silicon hose. Standard rubber hose as used in heater hoses cannot be used as the LHM will rot them.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Derekofpriory
My Cars:

Post by Derekofpriory »

Half inch off the end and a new clip and the jobs a good 'un, thanks for that. I must see if I can find another pipe in a breakers, the very idea of over £100 caused a severe spasm in the wallet pocket :shock:
Thanks again,
Derek B.