HPi and IDE. The same disaster?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

My bad it is 18k, i'm thinking of my C5.

18k is even worse! :shock:

Ford also released a direct injection petrol engine, the 1.8SCi. Its as rare as rocking horse do do. Strangely enough it suffers from the same problem as the IDE and the HPi! I took one over to a Ford main dealer to look at and they just shook their heads and laughed. :chin:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mitsubishi also had a DI petrol engine - and that was a disaster too. The technology has quietly been dropped... If you want economy then go diesel!
Richard W
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

don't the VAG guys have the DI petrols though?

not sure how good they are though
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

SaabC5 wrote:My bad it is 18k, i'm thinking of my C5.

18k is even worse! :shock:
What about the 30K mile interval on the Audi A2 TDI, that is really crazy. Buy one with mileage approaching 90K miles and it will have had just two services :shock:

I don't understand the mentality, so yes it looks good to buyers as it keeps servicing costs lower. However when failures occur it gives the manufacturers a bad reputation.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just trying to read in - between the lines regarding service intervals .

If manufacturers service intervals are followed to the letter, but in the real world proven to be woefully inadequate being overly longggggg twixt lube jobs ............

Will that render a F.S.H , main stealer or otherwise , not worth the paper it's written on ?

If so, then there is no real measure of reliability - longevity for the lucky / unfortunate punter

e.g Paying top dollar for a - low miles - FSH Vehicle who's expensive engine / expensive ancillaries are already damaged .

You may as well buy the cheapest on offer , give it a lube job and pray ?

What a pathetic situation for the vast majority of Motorists who cannot afford to purchase a Vehicle that's still in warranty, including me .

I totally agree with you guys - 6K lube job regardless.

Mr Cynical could suggest that since modern vehicles have become more reliable overall ( but vastly more expensive to repair ) is it a sinister plot by the manufactureres to hasten their components demise :wink:
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hmm kind of, hopefully their owners will have had more sense and had more routine services done. There are a few cars I would stay clear of due to service intervals though.

Id always go for cars with history, not only has it been serviced as it should have been (well, how the dealer would like it) but it means money has been spent on it and its been cherished. Not always but often, cars with no history are often abused.

I know a lot of people who can leave their cars 2 or 3 years without a basic service. One is a 1.6HDi C4, im just waiting for the call to say its gone bang or the turbo has died.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Citroenmad wrote:Hmm kind of, hopefully their owners will have had more sense and had more routine services done. There are a few cars I would stay clear of due to service intervals though.

How would the punter/owner gain this " sense " ?
since less than 1 in 100 people know anything about cars , or even care to. and would follow the Book.

Id always go for cars with history, not only has it been serviced as it should have been (well, how the dealer would like it) but it means money has been spent on it and its been cherished. Not always but often, cars with no history are often abused.

Yessum . me too , cep't where the " stamps "are identical and all fresh looking

I know a lot of people who can leave their cars 2 or 3 years without a basic service. One is a 1.6HDi C4, im just waiting for the call to say its gone bang or the turbo has died.
They do . Hence My BIL's C4 G.Pic had lt's 2nd lube job at 17K , thanks to this Forum :wink: and my insistence.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Dippy wrote:
since less than 1 in 100 people know anything about cars , or even care to. and would follow the Book.
Well I would like to hope people with some mechanical knowledge would consider higher mileage services to be a bad idea. People dont have to look far to see the results.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Citroenmad wrote:
Dippy wrote:
Well I would like to hope people with some mechanical knowledge would consider higher mileage services to be a bad idea. People dont have to look far to see the results.

Catch 22.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

My 03 Mégane has been serviced 4 times in it's life, plus a separate cambelt water pump and coolant change. Doesn't seem like enough, but it's right in line with Renault's recommendation and I firmly believe that their petrol engines can cope with it. Had it been a dCi, it'd need to be serviced three times for every one mine has. Yet another extra cost. And people wonder why I didn't buy a diesel...
French is best.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

R9UKE wrote:My 03 Mégane has been serviced 4 times in it's life, plus a separate cambelt water pump and coolant change. Doesn't seem like enough, but it's right in line with Renault's recommendation and I firmly believe that their petrol engines can cope with it. Had it been a dCi, it'd need to be serviced three times for every one mine has. Yet another extra cost. And people wonder why I didn't buy a diesel...
Given the collective m.p.g of your listed motor pool , it's no wonder to me at all .....

yerve' been swiggin the Bushmills again. :wink:

I hear a whisper that Diesels are very good on Fuel ? but it's probably just loose Torque.....
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote:My 03 Mégane has been serviced 4 times in it's life, plus a separate cambelt water pump and coolant change. Doesn't seem like enough, but it's right in line with Renault's recommendation and I firmly believe that their petrol engines can cope with it. Had it been a dCi, it'd need to be serviced three times for every one mine has. Yet another extra cost. And people wonder why I didn't buy a diesel...
Ah ha, not a comforting thought for me :lol:

Even if I had a Megane like yours it would see much more frequent servicing, at least oil and filters. Its even very easy to do yourself so the only real cost is to buy the oil and filter.

So what is it on, 2 years or 20K miles? :shock:

If the car is a low mileage one and used for short trips, fuel mixes with the oil, thinning it out, adding acids and reducing lubrication. You also get condensation building up in the engine, further reducing the lubrication factors of the oil.

If a car does a higher mileage then that is better, however you still get deposits building up, oil deterioration as a results etc etc. Petrols should always be able to maintain a very clean looking oil, I doubt over such a mileage they would do.

Also the length of oil change intervals have had a big effect on the motor trade. Many garages see cars for only repairs and less so servicing.

Every car I buy gets a service as soon as possible, even if it has full history. That way I know when it was last done, that quality parts were used and the right spec of oil.

It might be over kil, but id rather that than risk an engine problem.

Better to replace oil and filters rather than engines :D
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

It's done 20k miles every two years, and had a service at each milestone. So, right on the time deadline, but 2k miles past the mileage deadline :oops:

A casual oil and filter change ain't a bad idea. I've done that on plenty of cars, although the Espace V6 did almost put me off for life. Now that we're approaching the 100k mark, I fully intend to make servicing more of a priority. Although I have to say, the oil is still beautifully golden after 20k miles!

My aunt, on the other hand, services her Vel Satis every 5k miles. I'm looking forward to her time with the Avantime, she'll add a few more stamps in to the book :D
French is best.