Aaarghhh! Bl**dy clutch clip just went ping on my GF's Xant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You're 67 in Octal Mike :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or 110111 in Binary...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I'm 21 in French.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote: You're not a fully-paid up member of the Xantia spannering club until you've done a clutch clip, a heater matrix AND an Activa exhaust manifiold gasket :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's not fair, i don't have a xant with a clutch clip, whats an equiv?
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In your case Chris, a clutch swap on an ML5 equipped Xantia. You have two of those...

I can assure you that you'll soon become a full memebr of the XM Spannering Club :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Although some Cit jobs are a b1tch, NOTHING on them compares with doing a clutch on a Mitsubishi Evo !!! 4 x 4 you see, and it's like the car is built around the transmission !! I've done about 10 and it never gets easier !! Xantia clutch cable clips are a cow though ! So is the window regulator slider guide !!

Oh, and I'm 18 ........................................... in my mind !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I believe the book time for a clutch change on an XM 2.5TD is something like 25 hours :lol:

I've done a clip, ducked the matrix (so far), but expecting to have to do the ML5 clutch change at some point. Clutch change in a C5 2.0HDi 16V wasn't much fun either :roll:
Richard W
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Update:-
Despite Malcolms kind offer of help, he is unable to make the journey across Romney Marsh to Folkestone ( no direct route, very windy roads) to do the job. Obviously the car is not driveable so we are looking for someone to be able to come to Folkestone. Tea and choccy biccies to hand if anyone wants to put themselves forward!
Oh, and can supply blankets and foam for comfort, and paracetamol/cocodamol afterwards!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The AA man fixed one for me. The dreaded ping was only 5 miles out on a journey but I managed to get the car back by starting in gear on the starter motor and doing a couple of clutchless gear changes. The metal clip had pinged off but the plastic bit of the clip was intact and he managed to fix it up from a contorted position in the driver's footwell. My role was just shoving the cable home from the engine side of the bulkhead when required.

Not sure if the AA could provide a solution to your problem. It might be handy if you just happened to have a replacement clip in the boot.

I did drive a Ford Sierra Estate with a broken clutch cable 30 miles home by using a similar technique. The White Mare Pool roundabout (well known by most people in the NE, and about the 6 Mile mark on the Great North Run) was a bit tricky in the rush hour.

Kind Regards

Neil
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

pete the bus wrote: Oh, and can supply blankets and foam for comfort, and paracetamol/cocodamol afterwards!
My goodness, it's not that bad that you need to wrap the poor mechanic in blankets afterwards...

Perhaps to complete the job, a St. Bernard with a barrel of brandy on his collar might be a good thing too...

That should revive the poor soul better than any paracetamol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Don't give him the brandy till he's finished the job :lol:
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Update no.2

Having not had anyone take up the offer of tea n choccy biccies and pain killers (sorry, no brandy!), and payment for the job, I decided to take the plunge and have a go myself :x .

I had a quick look at the situation and saw the bolt had been replaced and was the "correct" way round! :D

So I made sure I could get as comfortable as possible with an armchair cushion and an old duvet and climbed in.
Got the spanner secured on one end and my 1/4 drive ratchet on the other. Started to ratchet nut and ping!, the ratchet broke!

:cry:

So off to B&Q for another one and back in again. This time no probs, and had the pedal out in about 15mins. :D . Didn't even need to remove the brake pedal cannister. (good job, coz I couldn't work out how to!). And this being a S2, the spring seems more sensibly positioned, so I guess it's easier to replace?

Will have to wait till Monday to get the replacement clip and have a go at refitting. Is it easier to attach the clip to the pedal first, or to attach the cable to the clip first? I can't remember what I did last time.

Interestingly it was the metal clip that had broken this time, whereas before the white plastic piece had broken.

Picture of the removed pedal and broken clip here:-
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/p ... lip001.jpg

So far so good, but the jobs only 50% complete, plenty of chances for hiccups yet! :lol:

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good stuff Peter, excellent :D

Do you still want a St. Bernard sent round at the end of it?
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good to here you have plucked up the courage,

i usualy fit the nylon block to the pedle,
then i have made a special tool out of a thick wire coat hanger,

i bent a very short lenght over very tight on its self then bent it over on its self again,
which created a short jaw which i fit the centre cross section of the clip into,

and with the pedle re/fitted get an assistant to push the gear box end of the inner cable in, whilst you make sure it fully enters the nylon block with the pedle held fully up,

now aim the clip into place and once fully home hold with a long screw driver whilst you pull the special tool away,

regards malcolm
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

CitroJim wrote:Good stuff Peter, excellent :D

Do you still want a St. Bernard sent round at the end of it?
Not sure if my own dog would appreciate it, but you can certainly send just the barrel of brandy! :lol:
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Lucky the pivot bolt had been installed the good way !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !