Any Auto box guru's on here (Non Citroen)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Deanxm wrote: out of interest what mileage has she done? oh nice choice of car too :wink:
133,000, I'll take the risk of being banned from a Citroen Forum and post a couple of pictures below. :lol:

Was not intending to buy her, but with the price I was offered it would have been rude not too.

Cheers for everyone's advice by the way, much appreciated.

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Mine was slightly older, J reg with about 230k but basicaly the same car, they are nice, wish you all the best with it.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
Gibbo: interesting comment about most failures occurring because the driver 'rides' the brake. Can you elaborate on how you reach that conclusion?
I drew that conclusion after taking many rides in the passenger seats of auto owners whose boxes regularly failed.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Dean - do you mean changing the round oil filter with the O-rings, or otherwise?
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Yes Adam, I have decided to change it now, with it having twin skins it is rather hard to clean it completely, especialy if the fluid is mucky and the filter has taken a beating.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
Gibbo: interesting comment about most failures occurring because the driver 'rides' the brake. Can you elaborate on how you reach that conclusion?
I drew that conclusion after taking many rides in the passenger seats of auto owners whose boxes regularly failed.
Umm, the only rational explanation I can think of is that applying a bit of brake will cause a non-adaptive 'box to 'hunt' between gears but by golly you'd have to have your foot well on the brake pedal to do that and before anything untoward happened in the gearbox department, I'd expect untoward things to happen in the braking department such as red-hot discs and pad wear measured in days...

Also, these days the engine and gearbox ECUs are a bit savvy in that they know it's not right for the brake and throttle to be pressed at the same time and will take some sort of retributive action against the illogical condition it sees.

If anyone suffers from riding the brake in an auto it's dead easy to cure. Just keep your left foot tucked under the edge of the seat and behind your right.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Also, these days the engine and gearbox ECUs are a bit savvy in that they know it's not right for the brake and throttle to be pressed at the same time and will take some sort of retributive action against the illogical condition it sees.
Indeed, even on manual box vehicles if you touch the brakes the ecu instantly cuts boost pressure on turbo models, i know that.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:If anyone suffers from riding the brake in an auto it's dead easy to cure. Just keep your left foot tucked under the edge of the seat and behind your right.
That's how I usually tell people to drive them if they have not driven an auto before. As if its out the way they cannot use it. :D

Also I point out to keep the hand away from the selector as (psychologically perhaps?) they stood on the brakes with the left foot when slowing down :lol: , automatic (no pun intended) reaction to having to depress the clutch I think. ?

As the topic is sort of non PSA autos:

My Astra auto drops out of drive if you are at a standstill and have the footbrake on for more than a few seconds. Appears to rely on the brakelight switch and the speed sensor, sensor at zero and brakes applied (again only after x seconds) Picks up fine though no roll back even on steep hills.

A quick whizz though the manual shows its normal and to prevent the fluid overheating, it is a bit strange though as my old and decrepit Mondeo I had around 2002 never did that. I do find it slightly disturbing though.

On a positive note the dealer told me it was "sealed for life" (I think not I've changed it twice already to empty it more or less fully) and they thoughtfully fitted a dipstick at the factory too. I wish the later PSA box's had one though. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
If anyone suffers from riding the brake in an auto it's dead easy to cure. Just keep your left foot tucked under the edge of the seat and behind your right.
I'm a bit long in the tooth chaps :) I got to threatening to cut their b**** foot off.

I'm not too familiar with the latest boxes having been brought up on Borg Warners, GM Powerglides and ZFs of which I've repaired many in the past. and many Mini auto boxes and the Renault boxes which caused some diyers nightmares, if they fitted copper core plug leads the geabox went berserk picking up stray signals.