XM 2.5 TD cooling renewal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

first-things-first

XM 2.5 TD cooling renewal

Post by first-things-first »

Hi everyone
I have recntly bought a XM 2.5TD, 95 vintage. Nice car and running well. As prevtative measures and to be sure I am going round changing and checking. Done the oil and filter, fuel filter, new tyres (cured a vibration at speed by having them balanced) and am now on coolant. Last weekend I tried to renew all the coolant - 13.5 litres IIRC - quite a bit of juice [:D]. I emptied the rad - about 5.5 litres came out. The excellent haynes manual pointed me towards the coolant plug for the block (with full cutaway and positional pictures with azimuth settings as per usual [:D]). I looked in vain for the plug (the "bible" said it would be behind the oil filter.
Can anyone tell me where it will be (I hope I don't have to dismatle anything to get it - the 2.5 TD makes full use of the available space [:)]).
On another note, is my HP pump going if the steering is heavy at parking speeds? Revs are around 800 - 1000 (depending on A/C) - rock steady. It will do about 1/2 turn from centre either way before the steering becomes very stiff. I am flushing the system with hydraflush (has made some difference to steering in this regard but still there) - will this help or is it time for a new HP pump? Car has done 156K and just replaced the accumulator (in case it was the issue).
Thanks in advance
Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andrew -
The plug may have been replaced in production by a welsh plug - or simply been filled in the casting process.
Poor Haynes can not predict what the manufacturers may decide to alter/redesign after manual is written.
Indeed a VERY common problem with popular manuals like Haynes.
The only sure way is to get a genuine Citroen workshop manual - and then a copy of all the subsequent Service Bulletins issued to date.
Usually removing the top & bottom hose from block/head is the only sure way getting the engine coolant system emptied/flushed.
Since your XM is a '95 - it has the Flow Divider control valve for the servo steering - a known problem device. Later XM's (& Xantia's) have the double outlet port HP pump - omitting this FD bugger valve.
(It's a VERY wellknown bugger on the BX [B)])
The only sure way to find out if it's the pump - is to have it's pressure capacity tested - inserting a pressure gauge (0-200 bar) in it's output piping.
first-things-first

AndersDK
Thanks for the response.
I understand totally where you are coming from, but the point I was trying to make is they obviously dismantled an XM to find out these things so why not show a picture of the position of it in their case? This may not be true of all series production of the same engine but a picture is worth a thousand words [:)]
Even the "series 2" have the FD pump? Thanks for the suggestion of how to test - is it dangerous for the diy-er to do yourself due to the pressures involved??
Thanks
Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andrew -
If your pump only have the large feed hose - and 1 rigid pressure output pipe - then you also have the FD for the servo steering.
On later versions the pump has 2 rigid pressure pipes - the extra is a feed to the servo steering.
The single fact you're asking - if it's dangerous to test pump pressure as DIY - tells me you know how to take care [;)]
Guess you could rent/borrow the gauge & fittings needed - if your local Citroen garage is customer friendly. Maybe they even do such a test at reasonable cost. It's a fairly easy & quick job with testgear at hand :
Relief system pressure - disconnect pressure pipe from pump - insert T-piece - connect pipes & gauge - run engine & read gauge at various test conditions.
first-things-first

Thanks again for the reply.
I have the later HP pump (so no FD[:)]). It has two rigid (metal) pipes coming out of the top along with a flexible rubber hose.
Thanks for your assistance and I will get the HP pump checked. I know a friendly Citroen mechanic.