Two Xantia Rack Questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Two Xantia Rack Questions

Post by addo »

Given my recent tyre wear adventures...

(1.) I am looking at beg/borrow/steal one of those offset cam type splined tools to grab and unscrew the inner rod end in-situ. Anyone tried this on a Xantia?

(2.) Rack boots - are cable ties suitable (given the radiant exhaust heat) or is Ligarex preferred for longer life?

Thanks, Adam.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Adam,,, I did an in-situ Xant inner track rod at Jim's recently.. it was pretty straightforward using only 'normal' tools.. once I had a decent grip and a sharp rap of the hammer it came undone pretty easy. So, a 20 minute job once the wheel was off :D
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Did you cable tie or strap the boot back on?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

After-market ones come with cable ties Adam, perfectly adequate as there's a fair lip on the end of the rack casting that initially makes the boot 'fun' to get over but serves well to hold it once it is...

Stilsons are a bit big in the head but John got by using one of these fellers:

A Footprint Spanner

They look crude but by golly they deliver. Hope they're available down your way because they're great...

Note they come in a wide variety of sizes. I have a set of three.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

the thank yee God’s
:D .. yep that's what I used Adam..
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

So the rack end doesn't have a single flat or opposing flats milled onto it? Just wondering about possible harm to the pinion from torquing up the threaded end...

This is the tool I've been eyeing off:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nope, not so far as I'm aware Adam, the rack twists a tad but nothing untoward... If there are flats anywhere for this purpose they're well hidden...

That tool looks good. I especially like the 'Hello Kitty' on it - very cute

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Yep, Footprints are a good traditional tool.
Amazing how useful many such 'blacksmith' tools are, but are rarely recommended these days. Mind you, in the wrong hands, they can make a right mess :No:
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

addo wrote:So the rack end doesn't have a single flat or opposing flats milled onto it? Just wondering about possible harm to the pinion from torquing up the threaded end...

This is the tool I've been eyeing off:

Was looking at these a while ago before I did my track rods, Laser do one which is part number 3829 Inner Tie Rod Tool. According to the Laser technical dept (who were very efficient at replying to my question, real good customer service) the hole in the tool through which the track rod goes is 20mm diameter. The dia of the track rods on my HDi Xant are approx 22mm. Laser suggested Alternative tools see http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?item=4225 or 5122.

These both have an internal diameter of 23.8mm.

However they are rather expensive if you are only doing the job once or twice. In the end I did them with mole grips and a hammer. I did cheat as I removed the lower wishbone to improve access which made the job really easy.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That's odd.

To begin with, I - like you - spotted the Laser 3829. I looked them (similar tools) up on Fleabay and vendors stated the inside bore was to cope with ends between 33 and 42mm. My Xantia's rod diameter is about 21mm (across hex points) and the 405 around 18mm.

So you'd think it ought to fit. :? Hmm...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

I believe the size quoted is for the diameter of the bit you are trying to grip ie socket bit that screws into the rack, on the Xantia this is about 33mm IIRC. The track rod itself has to pass through the smaller hole on the the cam type tools, looking at the photos I thought it looked too small, hence my e-mail to the Laser technical people. There are two sizes of track rod for the Xantia, my HDi and 2.1td have the larger (round) one and the 1.9td had the smaller hex one.