Leaky LHM tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Leaky LHM tank

Post by Stekelly »

When I got my Active from Mike, he told me about the LHM tank. It leaks LHM out on to the top of it, seams to be coming from under the rubber seal on the top. I havnt dismantled the tank for a look but after I change the LHM on the other one it's started on that too. It's not a huge amount, but it would need a sheet of kitchen towl to clean it off. I did it once and its back, so definately an ongoign leak.

Anyone had this? Is it something in the way I reassembled the tank (that the garage that did the Activa when Mike had it did the same) or somethign else?

Cheers
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Leaks from the seal area are quite common, a new seal isn't expensive.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Does the seal get damaged when its removed or something? It looks fine from what I could see and I was careful with the parts.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

They just appear to leak as they age, I imagine that the seals lose some of its shape and bulk in the areas that make contact, obviously if you've been cornering quickly that throws the LHM about and increases the leak rate. Sometimes even with a new seal you get a degree of leakage.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

Have you checked the return pipes where they enter the top of the tank?

I have tried to stop mine leaking but the access between the pipes is very limited so I have resorted to a judiciously placed and folded sheet of kitchen roll tucked amongst the connections.

Result: dry top of the LHM tank and change the sheet of kitcken roll on a monthly basis.

Regards.
If it can happen it will.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur, they all seem to leak, especially if the fluid level is to high.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive this seal is more a dust seal to stop dirt/dust entering the tank, and although it will deteriorate with age,

leakage at this point is more to do with the tamk being overfull,

were does the top yellow/orange disc of the level indicator sit in its dome,

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

On mine, it's more weep than leak and it's definitely from under the seal. It can be minimised, but not eliminated, by only filling the tank until the disc is half-way between the marks. Sedate driving probably helps too - but that's no fun!

As an aside, I bought a cheap 1L plastic kitchen jug just for LHM. It makes topping up so much easier, with jug less than half-full and engine running (but no wind!) it's easy to slowly pour a thin stream into the tank until the required level is reached - without dribbling LHM on the top of the tank. I keep all my LHM kit - 5L can, jug and bleeding kit - in a battered, but oil-tight, stacking storage bin with a couple of newspapers in the bottom to soak up any spillage, and a bin bag over the top to keep out the dust.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I just use a little funnel for topping up...

Weepy LHM reservoir seals drive me nuts... Many will know of my passion for dry engine bays and my definition of a leak so having LHM slop around the top of the reservoir really does pull my chain...

All of mine (bar one) have done it and it's a weekly task for me to wipe the top down to keep it looking clean...

Oddly, new V6, despite being a tad overfilled, is 100% dry :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:Oddly, new V6, despite being a tad overfilled, is 100% dry :roll:
That'll be the new seal I put on it :wink: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: That'll be the new seal I put on it :wink: :lol:
Ahh, now oddly I've never replaced a seal as I've looked at them very carefully and have never seen a problem with them; they appear soft and intact and good. Clearly they're not... Perhaps they shrink?

Maybe I should replace them....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote: That'll be the new seal I put on it :wink: :lol:
Ahh, now oddly I've never replaced a seal as I've looked at them very carefully and have never seen a problem with them; they appear soft and intact and good. Clearly they're not... Perhaps they shrink?

Maybe I should replace them....
I'm pretty sure I replaced the one on the Activa as well but as its an Activa,,,,,,,, :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: I'm pretty sure I replaced the one on the Activa as well but as its an Activa,,,,,,,, :lol:
Yes, it's all to do with the G Forces :lol: :lol: :lol: Activas need a baffled LHM Reservoir like fast racing cars have baffled sumps....
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

shirley :lol: if the seal looks/feels good you just need to adjust the tension/profile of the lid clamp, to add slightly more downward force onto the lid/seal,

and of course only fill the tank to the corect amount as citroen intended (between the two red bands)

regards malcolm
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

The problem is that the hole for the filter is offset, and there is no support inside to stop the top of the tank near the centre deforming over time. However, it is quite easy to make up an insert to sit inside from a bit of standard 110mm plastic drainpipe. This has stopped leakage on my car.

Unfortunately I can’t find the dimensions, but I seem to remember that it needs to be 151mm high (quite accurately), and roughly a 90 degrees section, but you would need to check the size when making it up. With the filter out, it fits into position, and after reassembly, is kept in place by the lid clamping spring.

Fred