Xantia 2.0L HDi SX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Xantia 2.0L HDi SX

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

Thought I would ask to see if anyone knows anything about the problem that started a week or so ago.

Normally the engine sounds perfect and very quiet. In the last week I have been hearing a slight vibration noise every time i rev the engine.

I took it to someone I know earlier and he agrees with me and my dad that the noise is coming from the belt wheels. He said it is prob something to do with the bearings in the tensioner (as is automatic tensioner). He said is common but means a new bearing and assembly and will have to unbolt engine and jack up to get at the wheel.

Does anyone know the best way of solving this prob. Is not much noise and it doesn't seem to effect the car at all.

thanks in advance,

Steve
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

It appears that the diagnosis is reasonable and along the right lines for replacement, as for unbolting the engine I'm not quite so sure about that as it may be possible to access the tensioner from below once the plastic shield in the wheel arch has been removed, even if the engine mount does need undoing its only one mount and a relatively simple task. Often when a tensioner goes you can see it wobbling the belt when the engine is running.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hdi, ? Dual Mass Crank Pully!

You be amazed what noise these can make when they start disintgrating..

Virtually the same noise as a clutch release bearing gone.. do check it out, because if the rubber from the centre slips out, it goes INWARDS to the cam belt...

The tensioners can get weak in the spring area this then results in it "Chattering" with the belt, watch it with the engine idleing you may see it vibrating quickly ....

Its Not know though for leaning into the belt like the XUD one and splitting them.. you just get the "Rumbling" noise at idle..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yesterday DickieG wrote: as for unbolting the engine I'm not quite so sure about that as it may be possible to access the tensioner from below once the plastic shield in the wheel arch has been removed, .
But...
on Christmas Day 2008 DickieG wrote:It wasn't quite the thing I planned to do on Christmas Eve, but fingers crossed my HDi is now 100% in every department. I picked up a new tensioner at GSF this morning, fitting it was simple and self explanatory although as the engine is such a tight fit the top engine mount has to be removed in order to raise and lower the engine to get access to the tensioner. The difficult part was getting the engine back onto the mount as it appears to have a different balance point to other diesel Xantia's and required a substantial pull forward to get it over the inner wing engine mounting stud. The amount of wear/wobble on the bearing of the old tensioner was quite a surprise I prefer not to think of what could have occurred had I not spotted it.
Senior moment - must be brought on by that impending retirement :lol:
Richard W
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Ok thanks for the advice.

Will deal with it in due course.

Will have to get new one and replace. Don't want to regret not doing it. Does anyone know the best/ cheapest place to get this part?

Steve
bra.ker
My Cars:

Post by bra.ker »

Hi, as Paul have said - it could be a crank pully and problem with rubber-metal parts slipping. Maybe you can try to take a chalk and make a line across the pully. Then take a car for short trip and after that check the line. If aligned no problem, if slipped the pully is getting damaged. I am not sure if this can help but someone checks it this way.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

any aux drive belt issue should be checked ASAP, because if something in that area failes the drive belt can and dose wind its way into the cam belt cover and cause all kinds of misschive/damage,

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Auxiliary belt failure (even partial) on a Xantia is likely to be catastrophic.
For starters, no belt = no hydraulics = no power for steering and brakes = call for a recovery truck.
Then, as several people have pointed out, when you've got it home you're likely to find flying bits of belt have got caught between crank shaft gear-wheel and cam-belt causing the belt to jump. If you're really lucky, it's only one tooth and wasn't catastrophic, but 2 or more teeth is more likely and the engine will need rebuilding or replacing.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Cambelt failure is not so much drama on an HDI - the rockers are the weak point, so you just need to replace the few that break and away it goes again. Still a PITA though!
Richard W
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

Have just had news from the garage that although the cambelt needed changing the noise was coming from the crank shaft pulley. It also needed a new water pump ( as is HDi).

The parts were ordered today and should be finished tommorow.

Thanks for advice everyone. I managed to get it to the garage before the tensioner or crank shaft pulley disintegrated in to the engine!

Steve