ZX 1.9D Gearbox Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

geb042

ZX 1.9D Gearbox Problem

Post by geb042 »

Since having new driveshafts installed 6 months ago, there has been a slight rumbling (similar to a broken engine mounting) at about 1450 revs when cruising.

The noise stops when I dip the clutch. The noise also seems to appear when I let the engine labour when pulling from low revs or slowing down to turn left.

The garage that installed the shafts said that it could be either the shafts or the diff bearings in the gearbox as the engine /gearbox mountings were ok. They told me to continue to drive it as if it was the gearbox it would get worse and wouldn't cause any more damage to be done as it would have to be rebuilt anyway. If it didn't get worse it would be the shaft.

Now, 6 months on I'm having problems getting the car into and out of, 1st, 2nd and reverse gears. Reverse crunches and the others are notchy and only go home with force, but do not crunch.

Car has only done 36k miles from new.

Has anyone had this problem? If I need a new gearbox, is it better to have the original one rebuilt or get a reconditioned one? What would a recon unit be likely to cost?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

First change the gearbox oil - fill it ONLY with 75W80 oil. Next adjust the clutch a bit and see what it feels like after that. If the clutch goes out of adjustment quickly after that, then it probably needs replacing. If the noise only started after the shafts were fitted, then I know where I would be looking... :lol:
Richard W
geb042

Post by geb042 »

Gearbox currently has Total BV 75/80 in it.

Hopefully, this will be down to the clutch and not a full gearbox rebuild.

The annoying thing is that whilst the car was originally at the garage, the mechanics spotted that the rear rubber subframe/suspension mounts had split, so renewed them. I took the car back to inspect the mounts as I had a query with them. Whilst there the mechanic who did the job pointed out the nearside gearboc mounting as being the possible cause of the noise (even though the garage owner previously told me the mountings were ok) because when he shone a torch up there from underneath we could see that although the rubber mounting looked ok, its circular shape looked to be slightly off-centre to the metal circle it sits in.

I'm wondering whether if the mount is faulty, then the engine/gearbox has moved just a fraction to put put strain on the gearshift selector rods, hence the selection problem? It's puzzling as the noise/vibration I mentioned earlier can be felt through my heel when driving, but the lower engine gearbox mounting is fine.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its crunching when you try to engage reverse the clutch is not disengaging fully. If the clutch cable is adjustable that should cure it, if its self adjusting and working corectly - you need a new clutch.

Peter