dead dashboard

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pitw

dead dashboard

Post by pitw »

hoping someone can help. my dashboard instruments have just died. my speedo, rev counter, mileage display, fuel and temp gauges and most of my warning lights have just stopped working. have checked all the fuses and all are ok. all that works is my battery light and glow plug light.

any ideas?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

To which car does this apply?

Have you checked the Maxi fuses that usually are hidden under the engine compartment fuse box?
pitw

Post by pitw »

sorry 96 xantia 1.9sd. yep check the fuses under the steering and the ones under the bonnet.
pitw

Post by pitw »

has anyone else ever had something similar happen. was hoping it was a common fault. gonna try and get a replacement instrument panel and hope that sorts it. at the moment with no instruments i like speed cameras even less than normal. probably look silly going past them at 10 mph just to be on the safe side.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm sure you will get a reasonable answer soon. If it isn't the fuses and everything else works I imagine it could be a relay. Failing that, the earth bond for the instrument panel

I don't have a relay map but you might try yanking them out, spraying the contacts with electrical contact cleaner (NOT WD40) and replacing them and checking the earths for the instruments.
pitw

Post by pitw »

cheers. not checked relays. wasn't sure if they had anything to do with the dash. only found 2 relays in the box under the bonnet with the fuses, any idea if there are more hidden somewhere else. will take them out and try cleaning them. not expert with relays so will have to research how to test them and what size hammer i need to fix them.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

IIRC there are a boatload below the dash but it has been a few years since I had a Xantia so could well be mistaken.

Always use the largest hammer you can find :twisted:
pitw

Post by pitw »

cheers, will get my dash to bits when i get a chance and dig my sledge hammer out just in case my lump hammer isn't up to the job.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

It could well be down to a poor connection on one of the plugs on the back of the dash, lovely job getting it out, remove steering wheel etc.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
pitw

Post by pitw »

got it out. bit of an arse to find all the screws but easier than i thought it was gonna be. didn't have to take steering wheel off. now looking at a blue and a yellow multiplug with no idea how i'm gonna test the connectors or instrument panel. probably gonna try and source a replacement and hope for the best.