ZX 16V parts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

benj
My Cars:

ZX 16V parts

Post by benj »

Maybe should have put this on the for sale section but I think its more than just an advertisment.
I bought the 16v from Glenview, one of the best colours (dark metallic green) but unfortunatly it has to be the worst cond. ever.
Everything mecanically seems to be ok, there are plenty of service able items that have worn, but general condition is sound.
What really surprised me is the amoutn of rust, now i dont know if the previous owner parked it on a beach or something, but the car is crumbling. My zx has not a spot of rust on it, anywhere, it hasnt been treated especially well body wise, but after a couple of volcanes i came to the opionion that there cars were pretty rust proof, all the others iv seen have been pretty sound, I'm i write assuming they all are or does anyone else own a rusty zx?
well, my point is, as sad at it maybe, there is no sense in saving this car,
along with the rust the car has;
panel damage
clutch gone
rear suspension bushes gone
bottom engine mount gone
downpipe olive split, bolt missing
rusty (almost crumbled) rear disks and CALIPERS!!
knackered radiator.
ok, now that i'm breaking it, it may be good news for anyone here.
you dont have to witness the butchering of one of citroens finest cars, you can just recieve the parts you want, nice and clean and well packaged, and cheaper than anywhere else.
All i want off the car is Engine, gearbox, abs unit.
that means if anyone wants anything of this car it is available.
the guys who own 16v's will know what they want if anything but just a few ideas to anyone who owns a lesser spec zx what they could have to make it a bit nicer,
full 16v bodykit, and front cutaway wings to except
rear spoiler with holes in glass to except
front/rear bumpers
4 alloys in good cond
full intereior, including leather steering wheel and gaitor, electric passenger mirror, electric windows,
bonntet and boot is good but doors are wrecked,
any requirements just email me and il email you foto back and price
cheers
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

sent you an email :) I think the white ones are the best colour, saw one the other day going to the New Forest. I wanted one but after 3 months gave up waiting and got a red one.
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

yea mines white,
a questio i have for anyone in the know is did citroen use a certain region number plate for there press cars?(like ford)
iv seen HTO around a few times, mostly on the Xantia Activa ads, my zx has this region and as it was one of the first 16v's i was well wondering...
if anyone hasd any early mag reviews could you tell me the colour and umber plate
also my 16v alloys have France written on them where as the green one i have bought they all say Made In Spain.
what does everyone else have?
cheers.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

I think the three door zx's were made in spain and the 5 door ones made in france. However if your car is a press car and is a early one it might have been made in a french factory becuase the one in spain wasnt ready, that the theory anyway.
glenview09

Post by glenview09 »

Ben,
I'm sorry that you are so disappointed with the car. The tone of your posting seems to say, "look what this irresponsible owner did to such a lovely car", it also gives the impression that you paid over the odds for it given all the faults you are now discovering.
I realise you did not have much time to view it but I think it was as described in the E bay auction, an 11 year old, 104k mile ZX with panel damage and the bushing problem.
I was not aware that the clutch was away, the biting point was certainly high but it did not slip during your test drive and you did not report a problem when you drove 250 miles home. It is on the OE clutch and I would have probably expected to replace it in the next 10k miles if I'd kept it.
I doubt any ZX of this age/ mileage is perfect and you bought it for spares or repair for £450 -that included the brand new radiator and hose which cost me £180.
Remember, it was you that made me the offer and pursuaded me to cancel the Ebay auction early.
Certainly the weather in Scotland is more inclement than in Chester, the car has been up here all its life and the roads are gritted for probably 3 months a year. The only major rust that I was aware of was on the bottom edge of the driver's door, it hardly seemed worth mentioning considering the dent in the opposite side. Other than that the rust was comensurate with the age.
I put new pads (£45)on the front and rear brakes on 21/5/03 and the calipers did not seem too bad, the pistons were relatively free and the hand brake mechanism could do with a rebuild (I did disclose that the cable was broken and included the cable). I agree that the discs are corroded on the OD but they are a consumable.
We agreed the exhaust was blowing during the test drive and you suggested the engine mount/ olive scenario but it passed the last MOT like that and not been detrimental.
I appreciate that you have not come back to me complaining about any of these faults (you aired them in a forum instead) but as you say you need the engine to fix your vehicle's performance problem- if you can make it do more than 75mph then you add at least £600 to it's value. The engine in mine was sound and it exceeded 120 mph the day before I sold it to you (local runway obviously).
As you are putting "my" engine and gearbox into your car then it would have been obvious PM to replace the clutch anyway.
As we discussed during the test drive, coils/ caps are £42 per pot- these cars can be expensive to keep on the road, any source of spares can be "worth it's weight".
I don't want to get into a slagging match over this, I have your money, you saw the car before you handed it over.
I just feel that your tone in the posting suggests that you were mislead and I know that you went in with eyes wide open and hopefully will get a good return for your £450, whether that be just the engine and gearbox or the whole vehicle.
You may even be able to make more than £450 for the bits you are selling on, I did consider breaking it but it wasn't really worth the hassle.
I will forward a link to all the people that have been complaining to me that I closed the auction early- some of them want specific items that you may still be able to supply them.
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

Dave,
I think an apology is in order again my tone of type has come across not how i menat it .
Points id like to clear.
When I bought the car i was 100% aware of the condition, at no point have i been disapointed, and this is why i havent gotten back to you.
apart from the crash damage and couple or dents and scrapes there is nothing else on the body witch is owner fault.
i am mechannically wise impressed with the level of service of the car. its obvious you have spent a lot of money. the mechanical problems with the car are all servicable items that have come to the end of their expected life.
its just an unfortunate fact that some cars are built btetter than others, weve all heard of friday afternoon cars.
the rust on the body is all surface rust which is apperaing from under the paint.
the rust underneath the car again is surface rust which has been left to linger.
i priced carefully what i need to replace all the servicable parts, it would have been worth it if the body was mint, but as it is not I have come to the decision to break
regarding the clutch, except for the high pedal position, there was no sign it of it slipping when i bought it, this has happend since driving 300 odd miles, and even if it was slipping when i test drove it i would hae still paid the agreed price.
regarding the bottom of the drivers door, its not rust, its badly sealed filler witch has abosrbed water and bubbling, again im not having a dig at you,
the only reason i was so harsh (but true) about the condition was i was trying to justify why im breaking it.
I am happy with my purchase, but shoked with the condition purly because iv never seen a rusty one.
I also realise you probably could have gotton more for it, purly for its mechanical bits, engine and box went for over 500£ on ebay a few weeks ago.
hope we have no hard feelings, try not to think of your car dying, instead think its scarifcying itself to save others.
cheers
ps excuse spelling.
glenview09

Post by glenview09 »

Cheers Ben,
Sorry for the curtness of my response, I accept that the car is old and tired and that I, obviously, was not prepared to make a go of it.
I am really pleased that parts of the car will live on (even in White!)
Good luck for the future and look after your licence.
David.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Glad you sorted that out lads; I can go to bed now.....Oh, the joys of being a moderator living on the other side of the World.
[;)][:D][:D][:D][:D][;)]
Keep 'em smiling[8D]
Alan S
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

On the subject of press cars - they will all have been registered in the Slough area of Berkshire where Citroen's head office is - not sure what all possible letters are, but mine is BAN - the AN meaning Slough.
If it's got the original number plates they'll have 'Citroen UK' in red lettering under the reg number.
Even if you have the above, it may well have been a dealer demo as I've seen quite a few BX 16V's, especially later ones, which may have been registered and loaned to dealers to get rid of them.
Mine may fall into one of the above categories - it has the plates and was registered to Citroen UK for the first 11 months of its life.
I tried to find out via the Citroen press office but they weren't interested in helping me discover its past history [:(]
Cheers
Adrian
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

awaiting pics of the whole kit... got ur email... do u think the green would look out of place on silver? maybe a lairy purple flip resprays on the way...
benj
My Cars:

Post by benj »

hi all,
iv been unable to get away from work at any reasonable hour for the past week, and hence no time to send pictures,
thanks for eveyone who has emailed me and il endeavour to get the photos and responses out later today or tomorrow morning, il have to send them from my home address so dont be alarmed by a different email address!
cheers.
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

i need an mi16 alternator... mine turned out to have been replaced with a gti one possibly? fewer teeth on the pully... hance belts arent lasting!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

can you send me some pics, maybe interested in the whole lot.
Ross
dave-b
My Cars:

Post by dave-b »

Ben is the body kit the same on the Volcane as the 16V? Have you still got the wheels?
Dave
ZX Volcane (Wirral)
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Nah the bodykit is different, It has side skirts and wheel arch extensions front and rear as well as different trim down the side. The front and rear bumpers are the same without the metal insert stripe going all the way around