Xantia cabin heat fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy5
(Donor 2022)

Xantia cabin heat fan

Post by andy5 »

1999 Xantia HDI 110

To digress for a moment to start with, I've had this car for a few years, and one issue with it has been the switch which changes the radiator fan speed, which has been replaced twice and cleaned a couple of times, but most of the time the slow radiator fan speed has not worked.

So just occasionally when driving slowly or stationary in jams in hot weather I've sometimes had to turn the cabin heat on full and open the windows to avoid baking myself, and the temperature gauge stays stable at 90 to 100 indicated.

I was doing this while towing a trailer to Lithuania recently, on 3 or 4 uphill motorway bits on Germany, without any problem.

The day after I got there though, all the cabin heating and ventilation failed. The cabin fan doesn't run, the air conditioning button has no effect, nor does moving the cabin temperature or fan motor sliders.

I can see a thread here about a fan motor issue, and that there was a modification to add a relay, because the relevant contacts on the ignition switch gradually become pitted and stop working.

But that thread seems to be about the earlier series Xantia, so I'm not sure it applies to this 1999 model. In addition it's mentioned there that the heated rear window also stopped working, which still works on mine.

On my way home across Poland, on a couple of restarts after brief stops, the internal fan was working again. On the first of these I got bold after three-quarters of an hour or so and tried the air conditioning - a mistake as everything stopped again. The second time I got any fan use it ran for about 15 minutes then stopped. Other than those two occasions nothing.

As well as no fan, there doesn't seem to be any heating effect when moving the temperature slider, and the screen started to mist up a bit on a couple of damp evenings. In fact there almost doesn't seem to be a flow of air at all - you'd expect some ram air effect at 70 or 80 mph on a motorway, but I felt very little with a hand near the vents - so I drove with the side window open about an inch.

Is this likely to be the same relay issue as in that other thread, or are there other possibilities?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm assuming you have checked/cleared or removed the pollen filter, to start with?

My theory about the other control bits is, that when the "controlled" item becomes stubborn due to stickiness (like a flap motor) or internal componentry (like the blower fan modulator) elements of the control module which push them into action, can overload and fail.

Your aircon will also shut down when gas pressure is below minimal.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The usual culprit is a loose fan plug that needs tightening.
The stories for the earlier Xantia also apply to the later ones where there are still ignition switch faults despite the relay modification being done at the factory.
The switch is good because the rear window heater still works.

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's more than one issue going on here by the sound of it...

First, the rad fans. These rarely run on an HDi during driving - they don't come on till it gets to over 100°C anyway. There might be a problem with the relays - both fans should run on slow speed when the AC is on - above 30 mph or so, they have no real effect.

There is a relay on MK2 cars which takes the load off the ignition switch, but there can still be problems:

1. The switching feed to the relay is lost, this results in loss of fan and HRW (happened on mine). Not sure if this affects the AC
2. There's a splice in the wiring loom somewhere which fails - this causes the AC to fail as well. David H had a long thread about this: Fan troubles

There is also a splice in the front inner wing which jgra1 tracked down, in relation I think, to a rad fan problem.

Some probing with the multimeter required...
Richard W
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Thanks for the answers, and sorry for not replying sooner.

After 3 weeks of not working, ok for a couple of half hours after restarting in Poland, then again nothing for a while, a few days after my post here the interior fan suddenly started working ok again without action from me, so I'm just fingers crossed at the moment, and tempting fate by posting this.