Does the Xantia have life of its own?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Does the Xantia have life of its own?

Post by atr »

I think that Citroen managed to create a car that has a life and mood of its own. a few day ago I drove the vehicle - Xantia 2001 petrol 2.0l 16v - and every thing was fine. I stopped and went to my business. when I came back, I couldn't start it. I've checked under the hood, everything seemed fine. a few minutes later I've managed to start and drive but was surprised to see that the speedometer pointer "jumped" all the way to the right, stopping at the "240". a short time later it went back to its normal reading. yesterday evening I was getting again the full show all over again. I've also noticed that the remote control doesn't lock/unlock the doors. my suspicion is that it might have a connection with the alarm. is the alarm an original and integral part of the vehicle? is there a way to disable/disconnect it? where can I find the electrical diagram of the alarm?
Thanx.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The problem is almost certainly down to a flat or very low charge state for the battery as the speedo and rev counter on S2 Xantias are well known for the above condition causing mayhem with the dials. Another cause could be a poor earth or the supply lead connection on the battery, does it get warm when trying to start or when running?

It may be possible to get the remotes going again by following the procedure mentioned in the handbook for when changing their batteries, failing that a Lexia session will be required.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Thanx for the reply. I've replaced the alternator last week with a refurbished one that was checked prior to the installation (that was an ordeal by itself). maybe that the battery (dated 11/09) is approaching its end, I dont have how to check it. it is a Fiamm and I suspect that its capacity is smaller then needed for the vehicle.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I agree with DickieG. This is probably a power supply case.

If battery and earth check is OK, then I would suggest also to check the negative terminal cable.
If there is copper corrosion in the threads which would be seen as either white or green powder then
you need a new negative cable. It may also cause this kind of symptoms.

PS: Xantia has a life 8-)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Duracell
My Cars:

Post by Duracell »

sounds very much like the problem I had with my mk2 - Mine turned out to be corroded supply cables in the loom feeding the cabin fusebox - If theres nothing visible as suggested in the previous posts it may be worth checking the supply voltages to the cabin fusebox (mine were intermittantly down to 5/6 volts)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In answer to the question posted by the OP "Does the Xantia have life of its own?"

The answer is an emphatic YESSSSSSSSSSS....

I very much agree with the diagnosis so far, I've seen it on the MK2 Xantia and on the S2 XM.....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

When this happened to me, I had 12V at the battery post but only 3V at the alternator post.

In my case, I replaced the battery lead right to the alternator, leaving the original "jumper" between alternator and starter. I used aftermarket brass battery terminals that fitted much tighter than the originals and it's been fine since.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote:In answer to the question posted by the OP "Does the Xantia have life of its own?"

The answer is an emphatic YESSSSSSSSSSS....

I very much agree with the diagnosis so far, I've seen it on the MK2 Xantia and on the S2 XM.....
Should it not be do Citroens have a life of their own :lol: :lol:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Should it not be do Citroëns have a life of their own
Yeah , they have a life but the poor beggers fixing them all the time don't :lol: :lol: :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2