Xantia estate Off side front windy noise at speed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia estate Off side front windy noise at speed.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

I wonder if any xantia owners can help with this one please?

ever since I sprayed the bottom of my s2 xantia estate with wax oil I have noticed an offside front whooshing noise which appears to be coming from around the wheel area. it sounds like I have a roof rack on but lower down.

we went to buy a 2cv yesterday in Kent and throughout the whole trip this whooshing noise like wind traveling over a hole somewhere was coming from the off side front of the car quite an annoying sound, my Dad and I checked the door seals, which do not appear to be leaking.

on the inner wing panel on the drivers side there is a rectangular hole I am going to block this to see if it is that that is making the noise, in stronger winds I do feel a bit of buffeting from the front end, I have been underneath to have a look and I cant see anything obvious that seems to be wrong, I put some cable ties on the wiring loom that runs across the bottom of the front behind the valence trim, and secured the hydraulics lines running across at the back of the front sub frame with the clutch cable above them.

I am really confused as to what could be causing this are there any large grommets in the location of the drivers side wing that could have dropped out causing whistling as the wind passes over the hole?

any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks in advance Nigel.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Most wind noise in my experience comes from ill fitting door seals, try pulling the door inward while you are driving - or someone else is and see it it makes a difference.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Peter

thanks for the suggestion but I have found it at last, you wouldn't believe it was the new roof aerial I fitted about ten days ago my sense of direction must be way off, a little carbon fiber stick with a tiny copper wire wound around it, noisy as hell and it did sound like it was coming from lower down.

Ive put back the original aerial stick that was on he car this one has a spring in the base to prevent vibration, wow what a difference buzzed down the A6 to try it and no more whooshing sound, it was beginning to worry me that something major was going wrong in the drivers side front wheel arch.

thanks again.

Nigel.