Xantia Heater Panel Bulbs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onthecut

Xantia Heater Panel Bulbs

Post by onthecut »

Dead simple question --- '99 Hdi Xantia --- how do you replace the backlight bulbs in the heater control panel? Have had a feel all around the back, plus a mirror down there and just can't make it out. Have got it as drawn out as possible without undoing cables etc. All info most welcome !

Mike.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dead simple question, dead compex answer :twisted:

The bulbs are held on a vertical bracket that's accessed from the top of the heater control box under a removable panel. To get at this panel it's necessary to remove the wireless first.

That's easy enough, slip off the surround after removing the two securing screws above the ashtray and tug gently. The wireless is held in with two Torx screws.

Then the panel is accessible. Lift it off, disconnect the wiring plug to the bulb and lift the blubholder bracket out, nothing that the heater controls have to be set in a particular position to enable it to lift right out.

The bulbs are special and not the same as dash bulbs. They look sinilar but are shorter in the body. Autobulbs direct sell them and if need be I'll misidentify them for you...

It's a bit of a fun job really...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
onthecut

Post by onthecut »

Jim,

Many thanks for that. Funny enough, the only reason I'm looking at changing them is because I have the radio out to resolve a poor connection. Should be OK on the supply side, thanks -- the local warehouse carries a pretty comprehensive range of bulbs. (As an aside, why, oh why is there such an idiotic proliferation of bulb types ??????? Roudabout half a dozen types would have seen you good for just about any car from the late sixties to the end of the seventies !)

Mike.
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Nice timing with this post as I have tried previously to change the bulbs in mine, but only got so far before becoming baffled!

What kind of bulbs does the panel need, and how many does it take? (would rather not have to take panel out without the replacement bulbs ready.

Ainslie
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You need two R509TMBK bulbs as available from Autobulbs Direct.

Took me an age to find them again. the website has changed and they seem to hide instrument bulbs away now. Maybe it's just me...

Anyway, they're the ones...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Excellent, thank you!
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

CitroJim wrote:It's a bit of a fun job really...
It's even more "fun" if you don't read these instructions properly, then decide to remove the front panel for better access, then move a lever to allow removal of the bulb holder, thereby allowing a cog to descend gracefully to the floor of the car.

Cue much swearing :lol: :lol:

Job's done now thankfully. Nice bright heater controls. 8-) 8-)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:You need two R509TMBK bulbs as available from Autobulbs Direct.

Took me an age to find them again. the website has changed and they seem to hide instrument bulbs away now. Maybe it's just me...

Anyway, they're the ones...
There's currently 5% off with the code abdaf5
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
merlin617
My Cars:

Post by merlin617 »

see my last post here: Xantia Heater bulbs, last 2 pictures should help with an explanation and a typical BOL description courtesy of red_dwarfers :D
Xantia 1.8 Sensation Hatch 1999
Saxo 1.0 1999