New C5 daylight running lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Re: New C5 daylight running lights

Post by Xantippa »

No, just replacing original halogen headlights gone bad with new ones. I had G4 halogens as DRL for few months and that was too much for the lenses. They are badly greyed.

Not interested in original xenon´s because they are so expensive, and not that good in terms of light output. In the UK xenon headlight´s for C5 X7 seem to be very cheap for some reason - maybe there´s just not enough demand.

I tried to find facelift led-halogen headlights, but they´re also too expensive. When I found this pair of new original halogens for 300€ I didn´t hesitate much.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Not only are the xenon headlamps expensive, but you also have to add a few other elements to the car to pass MOT ... the headlamp washers for starters, and the 4 sensors, 1 on each wheel strut, that measure and send height data to the headlamps for automatic compensation ... that0s just 1000 euros of work & equipment + the price of xenon headlamps, which is also in that range if not more .... :D ... to be honest, the facelifted LED headlamps don't appeal to me ... to thin in my opinion, and the LED line is both used for day (drl) and night (like a sidelight), so kinda kills it for me
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I didn't forget about the pictures, the thing is, I'm away on a business trip, with limited internet connectivity, so I didn't manage to upload any pictures on an image hosting service, I'll try to do that in the evening
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

SO, here are daytime photos, shame it's not clear & sunny, but the difference you'll see is because of the latter two being taken later when it became a bit darker outside ... so, like I've described, it's not blinding (xenon type), but you can see the reflection of them in the rear of the car in front of you when stopped in the traffic light, which should be just enough for the DRL function

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Anyone knows how the DRL works on the X7? To be more precise, what regulates when the DRL lights are on or regular low beams? I know the photo sensor is on the window glass, but does it only relay the lux information to the ECU/BSI or whatever, which by some pre-configured value responds to that, or is that just electrical, when the lux sensor (which is manufactured to respond when enough light hits it .. or not ...) figures out it's dark, it just switched on the electrical circuit what it needs to? Reason for asking this, I've been driving today, with my low beams on (automatic of course) and in the opposite direction (no direct sunlight, it was cloudy) I saw Mercedes, Hyundai, Clio, with the stock DRLs on ... do they have a higher tolerance on the light input than the X7? What I would like to figure out is, how to extend the DRL on (to lower the lux required for it to turn on the low lights) ... if easily possible ... I don't remember seeing anything related to it in the DiagBox, although I could've missed something ...
Crossfire
My Cars:

Post by Crossfire »

Just joined the forum, great info. Have just purchased a c5 X7 3.0l HDMI 2011 model.
Purchased in Melbourne and driven to Perth a journey of 3500klms. A great drive (done in about 50hrs driving alone and at night over the Nullarbor) although by the end I could barely keep awake.
Joined the site for info on drl fix as a month after being back I have noticed one of the drl has expired, which was a replaced original with a halogen.
Nice and bright however did not stand the test of time. Other side is original that is not a good look yellow and looks old hat.
so my first look at changing drew a blank, however have the t40 tool ready and will try my luck with all the good info available.
yet to purchase the bulbs will check what's available locally before I go on line.
Must say totally impressed with the car and its power,177kw twin turbo great passing power and great looks.
They are pretty rare here and most people do not know what they are. Which is great.
Will report back on my progress.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Glad to hear such "success" stories with the X7s, especially ones that aren't that widespread in a certain country (sadly) ... I know the 3.0 is really cramped under the bonnet, so much that the battery should be located in the boot wheel arch, under the cover (at least that's what it says in the manual) ... good luck in replacing them, hopefully without the need to take the bumper off ...
Crossfire
My Cars:

Post by Crossfire »

Thanks, my first look appears right hand side is readily accessed. Left hand side I think I will need to get a trained Goanna in to get to it.
Looks like I will have to remove a little box shaped electrical unit which is cramping the Goanna.
By the way DRL I thought was Daytime Running Lights, just taking my mind of what I am faced with.
Yes Battery is in the Boot leaving a huge electrical box and Jumper posts partly in the way.
I bought this one after falling in love with an Identical on down at my local club, the same colour as well, alas mine only with the 18inch Atlantic wheels.
Will leave it for another day.
Crossfire
My Cars:

Post by Crossfire »

Have received the new corn cob 5w LED in the mail from Chinapost they appear to be what I wanted. My first attempts to remove the right hand side bulb has proven difficult have manage to turn with a tool I have fashioned using a T40 bit.
I am wondering how many turns are involve, as it appears from previous pictures that there is a bit of thread there. My thoughts are to take bumper off after maybe buying a Haynes book.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

To remove the HP24 light you need a 90 degree turn if I remember correctly... definitely not more than half a turn, I can guarantee that ... because it is not a screw, rather a lock system which hooks the bulb in place ... the problem is that the bulb is a bit difficult to squeeze out after it is unhooked, because it is still tightly gripped by the plastic, when fully unhooked, try to slightly jerk it left-right with the torx, and pull to the bottom, it should come off ... just be careful to grab a hold of the bulb, so that it won't fall somewhere on the bumper floor, you'll then have a really hard time getting it out ...
Crossfire
My Cars:

Post by Crossfire »

Thankyou for that advice, I have just view another post, regarding the same matter and they have suggested stuffing the holder with blue tack to get a grip to enable edging it out. He also said a 1/4 turn. I get your point re locking system although it appears as a thread in the photo the other post also said he used a T45 Torque which I will try at daylight as felt the T40 did not seem quite right. Have you any thoughts on the size of the toque my model is a 09/10 3.00l.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'm guessing you mean torque, right? I don't know what to say about that, mine is just a 2.0 HDi (163 HP) ... the torque is 340 Nm on my engine, and it has been great so far ... although I have some ideas of putting a high-end chip tuning box on it to boost it even further ... :D ...
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Pretty sure he means Torx and is referring to the tool he needs to remove the lampholder.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Could be sparksie, but the engine mentioning kinda gave me a different approach ... :D ... since engine displacement has no impact on the torx size whatsoever ... at least not that I'd be aware of ... if it really is torx that we're discussing, I'm not sure how it would be possible to squeeze a T45, when already a T40 is a pretty tight fit ... unless the bolt is really damaged and widened through previous operations on it ...
Crossfire
My Cars:

Post by Crossfire »

Yes apologies, torx is what I meant. Nevdixon post C5X7 DRL bulb replacement guide says he used a T45 with a 1/4 turn it appears the base holder is a different colour to your post (blue instead of the Pink in your photo). Anyway will go out and try again now, as I was up all night watching the great win by our Local Boy Ricciardo winning the Canadian grand Prix.